Scottnokes2015

Hi everyone, I live in Perryville, Missouri. Is there any fossil sites around this area. Also I'm 10 minutes from the Illinois border. The town is Chester, Illinois.

Can anyone suggest any site in either place?

Thank you

Again, you can start your research HERE

Extremely old, more than likely no longer accurate information. 

But it give you a starting point. 

Lots of collecting sites around you.  Cape G is famous for Ordovician crinoids.  Found along Mississippi.  Also check out area roadcuts.  St. Gen has sites.  Look for exposures along river and roadcuts.  There are several abandoned quarries along Mississippi between Seventy Six and Star Landing.  Quarries are Mississippian and generally have blastoid along with other stuff.  Any roadcut around Perryville is fossiliferous.

Joe

• I found this Informative 1
Scottnokes2015

Hi there Joe,

I took a ride out to seventy six this morning. Along the road in the conservation is some dark block type rocks and a running Creek. I found nothing in the Creek and tiny sized fossils in the dark block rock. I carried on down to the river and all that stuff I saw head no fossils at all. So , did I go to the wrong area or can you set me to where I should be going, so I know for next time I go. I think are you How from Illinois, you came and meet me couple years back in Chester.

Thanks

Where to begin..........Perry county, East of I-55 has outstanding fossils.  Much of it is ordovician, but there is also mississippian, devonian, , silurian.  Karst can also yield ice age material (a saber tooth saber was found).  Star landing is a good place to start.  If the water is down, you will find many fossils in the rip-rap along the boat ramp.  Look north, and you will see a sandstone outcrop, which contains lycopod fragments.  There are two quarries located above the boat ramp that have quite an assortment of organisms, but they are on private property.  I have taken my class to them, but this was a few years ago, and I don't know about their present standings.

I recommend the book " geology of I-55", available through the Missouri dnr.  It goes mile by mile along each lane and tells the outcrops and what fossils are found there.

Brent Ashcraft

• I found this Informative 1