Indeterminate tooth for sale

Pterygotus

Hello everyone. I saw this tooth being sold that was labeled as indeterminate, dinosaur tooth which is Moroccan and is 1.6cm. Does anyone have any suggestions or know what species it could be? Thanks.

2BE8806E-5789-4CE9-9647-33AEE2D17F81.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

Abelisauridae indet. from the Kem Kem Compound Assemblage. Cenomanian in age (100,5-93,9 mya). I've never seen this coloration on a Kem Kem tooth.

No Abelisaurids are described yet from this location.

• I found this Informative 5

58 minutes ago, gigantoraptor said:

Abelisauridae indet. from the Kem Kem Compound Assemblage. Cenomanian in age (100,5-93,9 mya). I've never seen this coloration on a Kem Kem tooth.

No Abelisaurids are described yet from this location.

Does that mean it’s fake?

• I found this Informative 1

Just now, Pterygotus said:

Does that mean it’s fake?

No, it's a real tooth and it's a beautifel one too in my opinion. It's just no Abelisaurids are officialy described in the Kem Kem beds. They are found there but you can't give them an scientific name until they are described. Even when there is an Abelisaurid described it will probably still just be Abelisauridae indet. since there is evidence of at least two different Abelisaurids. The most correct (current) determination is Abelisauridae indet.

• I found this Informative 5

16 minutes ago, gigantoraptor said:

No, it's a real tooth and it's a beautifel one too in my opinion. It's just no Abelisaurids are officialy described in the Kem Kem beds. They are found there but you can't give them an scientific name until they are described. Even when there is an Abelisaurid described it will probably still just be Abelisauridae indet. since there is evidence of at least two different Abelisaurids. The most correct (current) determination is Abelisauridae indet.

Thank you

That’s a really unique tooth I’ve never seen one with those colourations.

it reminds me of one of my baryonyx teeth with those weird colours

Amazing 

56 minutes ago, Pterygotus said:

Sorry, it was described as raptor tooth but I doubt that makes any difference.

It's done quite often by dealers. Raptor sounds (and probably sells) better than unknown Abelisaurid ;) 

4 hours ago, Wightlight said:

It's done quite often by dealers. Raptor sounds (and probably sells) better than unknown Abelisaurid ;) 

Raptor its not and its also less of an unknown because there is no dinosaur family associated with it but does sound better to the uneducated dino collector.

On 01/02/2019 at 1:50 PM, Bobby Rico said:

Nice tooth indeed did you purchase it?  It has great hues . 

Yes, I did and it’s a very nice one

On 31/01/2019 at 7:19 PM, Pterygotus said:

Hello everyone. I saw this tooth being sold that was labeled as indeterminate, dinosaur tooth which is Moroccan and is 1.6cm. Does anyone have any suggestions or know what species it could be? Thanks.

2BE8806E-5789-4CE9-9647-33AEE2D17F81.jpeg

Awesome Tooth!