Time to build a Blast Cabinet

Sagebrush Steve

Looking good @Sagebrush Steve. You will probably want to keep the ABS. I have found the natural working position (for me) in a cabinet to be resting one’s forearms on the bottom of the access holes rather than holding your arms in the middle of the hole. The wider surface will be much more comfortable than the thinner surface of the board alone.

• I found this Informative 1

Very nice work, Steve.  I completely missed this post earlier.  I like your shelf idea.  My one concern is that it might be too tall.  Your knees have to fit under it, and your eyes have to fit on top of the microscope.  Just a thought.  Mine pushes the limit of this measurement, esp with the Barlow lens on cuz that raises the microscope by two inches.  Glad you got some great advice from Arvid.  

6 hours ago, jpc said:

Very nice work, Steve.  I completely missed this post earlier.  I like your shelf idea.  My one concern is that it might be too tall.  Your knees have to fit under it, and your eyes have to fit on top of the microscope.  Just a thought.  Mine pushes the limit of this measurement, esp with the Barlow lens on cuz that raises the microscope by two inches.  Glad you got some great advice from Arvid.  

Groan, I can't win.  @Malcolmt says I should make it taller, others are telling me it is already too tall.  I guess I have to think like a traditional politician.  If no one is satisfied then it must be the right answer. :eyeroll:

But seriously, thanks for the compliment.  If the only thing I was going to use it for was Green River fish, I'd make it 8" tall.  But I'm not really sure so I gave myself more flexibility.  I may be able to sit with the right chair, but I was imagining that I would mostly be standing while working.  Since I'm not doing this professionally I expect to only be working for an hour or two at a time, and while I am retired, I can still stand upright for that long.  And if I find it's too tall I can always take a chain saw and cut it down to size, something that wouldn't be so easy if it were too short.

I'll stand back now and let the competing sides argue it out among themselves.  :)