blackmoth

people have been looking for some ammonite this area of north china for some eighty years. this might be well the first sure thing. does it remind people of somthing?

ammonite.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Looks a ceratitic suture to me, could it be Triassic?

But some Permian ammonoids also have similar patterns, I think. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Are you sure with C-P? My first guess was Uraloceras or Eothinites (both Permian, picture of the last one attached first). There are also similarities to Sporadoceras from the Devonian (specimen from NA, second)...

EothinitesKargalensisASK.jpg

SporadocerasASK.jpg

yes, I saw it being knocked out of the layer that is probably early Permian or late Carboniferous ( more like the former,  the debate has been

on for 90 years, partially due to the lack of good deciders) with my own eyes.

That part of the north China (Shanxi) was well known at the begining of last century, as it was supposed to have more coals that the whole world would need for 5000 years ( based on the consumption then).

Its geo age has been a topic for debate, as the land plant are close to mid-late carboniferous ones in Europe, while the marine fossils are early Permian.

Sorry, my fault... First thought C-P stands for Cretaceous-Palaeogene, since Tertiary is gone...