Hello, we are new to this forum so hope we posted this in the correct place. 

We found the fossil in the photo below in the East Fork of the Little Miami River in Claremont county Ohio. It was just laying there complete In clay in shallow water.  It is about 2 feet in length. The underside (not shown) has remnants of what appear to be feet. To help it crawl.  We are not sure what it is, anything about it, or if the size of it is common or extraordinary in length. Any information you can offer would be most appreciated 

Thanks in advance,

Linda&Tim in Cincinnati Ohio

IMG_4239.JPG

Possibly an orthoconic nautiloid but would need much clearer photos to give an id. 

It could just be a limed up pipe from this picture.

And a photo of the 'feet' would be good, orthocones didn't have them. 

Welcome to TFF from Morocco.:)

• I found this Informative 2

Thank you for your quick reply. I will take more photos. Legs would he a better description than "feet" I think. They remind me of the underside of a crab. They are located in the second segment In back of the head (assuming the head is at the far right in the photo). 

Welcome to TFF!

A agree with Tidgy's dad, looks like partial orthocone nautiloid

But better pictures are needed to confirm this.

Please take the pictures straight on rather than the oblique angle of the pic posted..

• I found this Informative 2

I know but it's definitely not a pipe. I'll take more photos and post. It's in 5 or so pieces and looks like it has marrow or something inside of the straight pieces. A local fossil group here said they thought it was a nautiloid cephalopod (?)

8 hours ago, ynot said:

Welcome to TFF!

A agree with Tidgy's dad, looks like partial orthocone nautiloid

But better pictures are needed to confirm this.

Please take the pictures straight on rather than the oblique angle of the pic posted..

Thank you for the welcome and for the photo taking tips

Hi, @Linda&Tim. Welcome to the forum from Kansas!  I'm looking forward to you next photos.

8 minutes ago, Linda&Tim said:

A local fossil group here said they thought it was a nautiloid cephalopod (?)

Also known as orthocone nautiloid.

17 minutes ago, Linda&Tim said:

I know but it's definitely not a pipe. I'll take more photos and post. It's in 5 or so pieces and looks like it has marrow or something inside of the straight pieces. A local fossil group here said they thought it was a nautiloid cephalopod (?)

That sounds right, as Tidgy's Dad also said. Essentially what you have (assuming this ID is correct) is a large shell, or at least the cast of one, rather than anything made of bone. The nautiloids are cephalopod molluscs, and a modern day nautilus (with a planispiral, rather than straight shell) still exists, although the straight-shelled varieties are all extinct. If you Google them you will be able to find out a lot more.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sending additional photos of our 2'+ Nautiloid. I hope you can see better. We took it to the naturalist at Ohio's Caesar's Creek Ohio State Park known for their fossils. She also thought it was a Nautiloid Cephalopod 

20 minutes ago, Linda&Tim said:

I'm sending additional photos of our 2'+ Nautiloid. I hope you can see better. We took it to the naturalist at Ohio's Caesar's Creek Ohio State Park known for their fossils. She also thought it was a Nautiloid Cephalopod 

IMG_4262.JPG

IMG_4257.JPG

It looks like a large orthoconic cephalopod siphuncle with some chambers preserved, in my thinking. :)
This older topic might be helpful.

Yes, it's definitely an orthocone nautiloid.