Jump to content
TqB

Diploporitan, Devonian? Morocco

Recommended Posts

ricardo

I believe you bought another jewel for your collection. Thank you for show it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tidgy's Dad

Blimey, that's a beautiful thing.:wub:

I've not seen one like this before that i can remember, could well be something new, I reckon.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TqB
14 hours ago, ricardo said:

I believe you bought another jewel for your collection. Thank you for show it.

Thank you! It has a special place in the Palaeozoic echinoderm drawer. :)

 

13 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Blimey, that's a beautiful thing.:wub:

I've not seen one like this before that i can remember, could well be something new, I reckon.

 

Thanks, Adam! I've learned quite a bit just working out what it might be - and have a tagged a specialist on FB.

This article is a good intro:

https://www.palaeontologyonline.com/articles/2019/fossil-focus-diploporitans/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tidgy's Dad
5 hours ago, TqB said:

Thank you! It has a special place in the Palaeozoic echinoderm drawer. :)

 

Thanks, Adam! I've learned quite a bit just working out what it might be - and have a tagged a specialist on FB.

This article is a good intro:

https://www.palaeontologyonline.com/articles/2019/fossil-focus-diploporitans/

Yes, I've encountered diploporitans before in the literature and in taxonomy. 

I've seen several but nothing like the one you posted. 

It's quite beautiful and extraordinary. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TqB
4 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Yes, I've encountered diploporitans before in the literature and in taxonomy. 

I've seen several but nothing like the one you posted. 

It's quite beautiful and extraordinary. :)

 Thanks again, it actually came up when I was looking at bryozoans on the auction site, which I do from time to time. :)

 

A specialist has now told me that it's most likely both Ordovician and a sphaeronitid but there may not be enough of it to go further with ID.

 

I've a few conulariids from Morocco, definitely Ordovician, that were sold as Devonian (and one that may well be Devonian). Also, lots of the supposed Devonian corals seem to be Carboniferous - most dealers don't have the right information a lot of the time, down to the way the wholesale market works I suppose. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tidgy's Dad
7 minutes ago, TqB said:

 Thanks again, it actually came up when I was looking at bryozoans on the auction site, which I do from time to time. :)

 

A specialist has now told me that it's most likely both Ordovician and a sphaeronitid but there may not be enough of it to go further with ID.

 

I've a few conulariids from Morocco, definitely Ordovician, that were sold as Devonian (and one that may well be Devonian). Also, lots of the supposed Devonian corals seem to be Carboniferous - most dealers don't have the right information a lot of the time, down to the way the wholesale market works I suppose. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I have a large number of Moroccan fossils (unsurprisingly) that were gifted to me, or I bought in city markets or were labelled Erfoud. (prep centre, not necessarily where they're from, though some do come from there) A lot of these are confusing. A lot of the Devonian ones are actually probably Ordovician, Silurian, Carboniferous or even Jurassic, dealers just seem to say 'Devonian' for anything that's sort of grey.  :headscratch:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TqB
39 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

I have a large number of Moroccan fossils (unsurprisingly) that were gifted to me, or I bought in city markets or were labelled Erfoud. (prep centre, not necessarily where they're from, though some do come from there) A lot of these are confusing. A lot of the Devonian ones are actually probably Ordovician, Silurian, Carboniferous or even Jurassic, dealers just seem to say 'Devonian' for anything that's sort of grey.  :headscratch:

Aha! That figures, a dustbin period then. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×