Please help with id and how to proceed.

Sonyamarcou

Hello to all fellow fossil lovers. 

Ok I found this at the Lincoln formation in porter wa. At first I tried to relieve it from its cast by striking it with a hammer. Then I soaked it In Vinager and chipped away at it. I decided that I would ruin it if I continued. I froze it and thawed about 4 times. The end fell off as you can see. Is this a lobster or shrimp? How do I finish exposing it? 

image.jpg

Hi,

I think they are too big...

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Sorry, but as yet, I see neither shrimp nor lobster in any of your photos. You'll need to post sharper pictures and point out to us precisely where you see evidence of a fossil.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Being from the opposite compass point I have no experience with the concretion in that area, but this rock looks more igneous to me.

4 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Being from the opposite compass point I have no experience with the concretion in that area, but this rock looks more igneous to me.

I agree but cant tell from the photos. We used to find some nasty dense limestone concretions in California that would weather with that kind of rind around a dark gray calcareous center. I wonder what the literature says about that formation rock types and its age. At this point I cant tell what the type is nor if that darker core is remains of something or just some interesting mineral staining internally. The spotted outside is interesting as well...wondering if that is a lichen or mineral or porosity or some other odd breakdown/weathering/staining. 

Sonyamarcou, As Roger asked above we may need more photos and some help for any recommendations to proceed. Not sure that there is more to expose. Do you have a photo of looking directly down at the left specimen so that there are no shadows? It has a 3d look and shape to it but that may not be the case. Can you put a ruler/scale next to it as well. I'm looking at it some more and my brain wants to turn this into a clam possibly showing both valves with some parallel ribbing on the top left or that could be just suggestive mineral staining. I could be all wet but maybe an additional clear photo will help. 

5c55977472879_Lincolncreekunknown.jpg.d0f135aa5e7599903dc7510025be31c6.jpg

Doing a cursory search which you may already know and I found this info. Looks like it is a sedimentary formation and does have volcanic sources. tuffaceous and concretionary siltstone and sandstone. Late Eocene to early Oligocene. It does mention some macrofossil invertebrate material--clams, etc.  

The Lincoln Creek Formation Grays Harbor Basin Southwestern Washington By HELEN M. BEIKMAN, WELDON W. RAU, and HOLLY C. WAGNER CONTRIBUTIONS TO STRATIGRAPHY GEOLOGICAL SURVEY BULLETIN 1244-1

https://pubs.usgs.gov/bul/1244i/report.pdf

Thanks, Chris 

Edited by Plantguy
added new pub sources and rock info and a photo
  • I found this Informative 3