MrBones

Crinoids and corals?

MrBones

I found these fossils on Jebel Hafeet, Al Ain, UAE. The second rock looks like there is a criniod in it, but is more possibly a type of sponge. The first rock has quite a few things in it, including some type of coral. I would like to know what these really are.20190202_173846.thumb.jpg.6df0a458d4874994dc3e093ab058a738.jpg20190202_174410.thumb.jpg.63f55d4302d0c05242a178956b5bbae1.jpg

Fossildude19

Cropped and brightened: 

20190202_173846.jpg.e786b1cfd888d3051e04aa32ad02a466.jpg   20190202_174336.thumb.jpg.37c9e4089b9f8f4830bc2e53a1fbf326.jpg  20190202_174410.jpg.82190a325f37007b01f25c0e276ae381.jpg

These do not look like crinoids, to me. :unsure:

Maybe branching bryozoans on the first items.

Not sure on the second, but possibly some sort of orthocone cephalopod?  :headscratch:

MrBones

Crinoids were more of a hopefull thought:unsure:

Thanks of the id.

Rockwood

I think 1 is a branching tabulate.

MrBones

Do you think number 2 is some sort of urchin spine? I have found quite alot of ecinoid fossils here.

Rockwood
3 hours ago, MrBones said:

Do you think number 2 is some sort of urchin spine? I have found quite alot of ecinoid fossils here.

I have almost no experience with urchins, but I would be more inclined to say it is also a branching tabulate. At the lower end it seems to have the right shapes to be coralites, and the fracture pattern is right. I have a basketball sized chunk of broken pieces like this fused into a big mass.

MrBones

Thanks again!

Coco
To find out if it is a sea urchin thorn, we need photos much closer (with size) ; with the current photos I can't pronounce myself.

Coco

fifbrindacier

I agree with @Coco

Rockwood
1 hour ago, Coco said:
To find out if it is a sea urchin thorn, we need photos much closer (with size) ; with the current photos I can't pronounce myself.

Coco

1 hour ago, fifbrindacier said:

I agree with @Coco

Both my assessments are probably influenced by the fact that many of my specimens of the coral are poorly preserved and in similar looking rock.

I totally agree that more detail in the photos is needed to have confidence in the identification.

MrBones

There are no holes. The surface is almost smooth. It has a almost flat point.20190219_142241.thumb.jpg.1c0deb0339d06820a3e4957feec5e424.jpg

Rockwood

:shrug::headscratch:

Rockwood

:headscratch:. . .  It seems like I was wrong about something like this before. That time I believe the consensus was crinoid spike, or spine. (something like that)

abyssunder

It will be good to know what is the geological age of the sediments holding your finds. Maybe they are from the Cenozoic? :shrug: