Bone with Marrow preserved ?

Fossiljones

Hi all,

I realize it would be highly unusual, but could this be fossilized marrow inside this bone frag?

I recovered this piece during a South Carolina River fossil dive.

DSC02809_01.JPG

DSC02808_01.JPG

DSC02807_01.JPG

DSC02802_01.JPG

DSC02804_01.JPG

DSC02805_01.JPG

DSC02806_01.JPG

It's possible that there could be minute traces of the elements that made up the marrow, but more (perhaps not most) correctly it is the marrow cavity that is preserved.

• I found this Informative 2

If you can find a way to thin section it and study it under a microscope I would love to be proven wrong. My ID was primarily based on the relative odds I guess.  

The internal structure of bone is often preserved.

I do not see that in this piece, it looks like the bone was broken before burial and has been filled with sediment.

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

32 minutes ago, ynot said:

I do not see that in this piece, it looks like the bone was broken before burial and has been filled with sediment.

It could have been broken when the animal hit the side of a deep cave with a pool of anoxic hot water saturated with silica which mineralized the marrow cells in a rare case of exceptional preservation too.

The odds are just not favorable. :)

2 hours ago, Rockwood said:

It could have been broken when the animal hit the side of a deep cave with a pool of anoxic hot water saturated with silica which mineralized the marrow cells in a rare case of exceptional preservation too.

The odds are just not favorable. :)

Rockwood, thank you!  You made me realize what it must actually be: a prehistoric soup bone!

That makes it not only a "Fossil", but an "Artifact" as well!

Jeez, I hope I don't get dinged by the State for failing to include it on my Quarterly Artifact report....:doh!:

(In order to comply with South Carolina collecting (while diving) regulations,  you are required to procure a "Hobby Diver" license.  In order to keep said license, licensed Fossil/Artifact divers must submit two reports every quarter, one for Fossils, and one for Artifacts).

9 hours ago, Fossiljones said:

Jeez, I hope I don't get dinged by the State for failing to include it on my Quarterly Artifact report

The odds are against it. :)

16 hours ago, Fossiljones said:

Rockwood, thank you!  You made me realize what it must actually be: a prehistoric soup bone!

That makes it not only a "Fossil", but an "Artifact" as well!

You have to know that @Rockwood likes to propose very unlikely scenarios to muddy the water (so to speak).

As far as I can tell there is no marrow preserved in the piece shown, and the infill looks like normal sediment not what would be deposited in a hot springs.

Edit.... I do not know of any hot springs in eastern NC either. (modern or ancient).

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

35 minutes ago, ynot said:

You have to know that @Rockwood likes to propose very unlikely scenarios to muddy the water (so to speak).

As far as I can tell there is no marrow preserved in the piece shown, and the infill looks like normal sediment not what would be deposited in a hot springs.

Edit.... I do not know of any hot springs in eastern NC either. (modern or ancient).

I prefer to think of it as reminding people not to get so boxed into the current paradigm that they can't see beyond it. :)