Fossils on rock collected from creek

Adam S

Brand new to fossils here, and hope I’m following the rules of this forum. I recently collected some rocks from the creek behind my house in for my fish tank. I noticed that one of them has fossilized remains (I’m not sure I’m using the correct terminology here). More specifically, this was collected at (38.8069171, -77.1493230) on the surface of the creek bed in Alexandria, VA. The surrounding rocks were of all colors, shapes, and sizes. I’ve taken a picture and used my unsightly finger for scale. Could anyone inform me of what I’m seeing? I tried some google searches but was admittedly unsure how to search for this. Thank you!

4F85B840-EBB0-451E-8990-751DD9C102BC.jpeg

Welcome to TFF.

Fingers make bad scales, everyone is a different size.

Your rock is a stream tumbled piece of quartz (flint or chert) and does not appear to have any fossils in it.

• I found this Informative 2

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I agree with Tony.
I looks like a cobble with percussion marks on the surface. The rock might be silica-rich quartzite / chert / flint.
To be sure, please post pictures from different angles.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Adam, the dark brown coloring is mineral staining from the stream most likely buried below the darker portion.

Welcome to the forum. What do you have in the tank that is alive, freshwater fish?

Dorensigbadges.JPG