A return: Tales of my uncle's truck travels

MeargleSchmeargl

Again, it's been a while. Today I've been at my Mom's memorial service, as she passed away in the past week, effectively leaving me without parents. It's been really hard for me to feel good about much anything recently, so here's something else to think about for a change:

After the service, my uncle Austin came to me to say he found a fossil. Usually he just jokingly comes to me with a chunk of basalt, saying it's an "alien bone" :P

This time was different, though. He presented me with this:

IMG_20190202_154951413_HDR.thumb.jpg.7a9ad1d32c99597db4655545c15aba3d.jpgIMG_20190202_155004034_HDR.thumb.jpg.fe8d48a29b53e478e11177985f7e0354.jpgIMG_20190202_155014796_HDR.thumb.jpg.6640471ad2d2d447291e554efd26e443.jpgIMG_20190202_155028743_HDR.thumb.jpg.0d7cb08d699728c6d35178cad909344b.jpgIMG_20190202_155039466_HDR.thumb.jpg.632ba9ac8f5d33a5ab44498392651d1e.jpgIMG_20190202_155055510_HDR.thumb.jpg.b3c4da71c846e2ce65bbc75eeb18ef74.jpg

There's a good number of bryozoans, I think a few crinoid sections, and a piece of brachiopod or two on all sides of this piece. What I'm wondering is what formation/age it would be. Austin said he'd found it at a truck stop somewhere in Utah or California, so that could be a clue. Anyone from that area know what formation this may be from?

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

My deepest condolences, it must be very hard for you.

Nice fenestellid bryozoa. 

Looks like Mahantango formation, Devonian to me, but that doesn't occur in the states you mentioned, i don't think, so i'm probably wrong. 

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I am truly sorry for the loss of your Mother, especially so soon after your Father. God bless.

Sincerly Dave

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

It’s a tough road you’re on right now but It will get easier..... you have my sincere condolences. 

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

That's a sweet rock you uncle has given you. 

Your mother's love lives inside you now. Take a deep breath and feel her there. 

I'm a mother and I know she wouldn't want you to suffer for long.

My own mother is inching towards the exit at this time. I'm sure I will cry as you do.

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

Wow, both parents are gone. We are so sorry that it happened. We can never substitute for your parents, but we are always here for you and hope that you continue to share your fossils and journeys.

Stay strong.

John

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

My condolences to you. I can imagine how you feel, considering I was in similar unwanted state a few years ago, when my father passed away and two years later my mother. It's very hard to accept, but that's the way to our final destination, unfortunately. :(

There are pretty nice bryozoans in your finds. Brachiopods might be there also, but I can't see crinoid remains.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Reminds me of the Red Wall FM and other Carboniferous formations of the south west. Of course the red wall is more Arizona, but something similar.

I am not sure I have any words that can express my condolences, or help much how you feel. No words seem quite enough. For what it is worth, I am truly sorry. Keep doing what you love, you deserve to. 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Got back from Austin with a more specific location: St. Joseph, Texas. What formations are from there?

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

1 hour ago, abyssunder said:

I can't see crinoid remains.

I was referring to these, thinking along the lines of stems. Probably wrong though:

IMG_20190202_154951413_HDR.thumb.jpg.7a9ad1d32c99597db4655545c15aba3d.jpg.117b681de566f6063d90f987118f97d9.jpg

4 hours ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

I was referring to these, thinking along the lines of stems. Probably wrong though:

IMG_20190202_154951413_HDR.thumb.jpg.7a9ad1d32c99597db4655545c15aba3d.jpg.117b681de566f6063d90f987118f97d9.jpg

It's conceivable that there could be stems under there, but I don't think it's likely. 

I made it a practice to bring one of my latest finds to show my mother when she was bedridden. A small piece of tabulate coral is buried with her.  

9 hours ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

Got back from Austin with a more specific location: St. Joseph, Texas. What formations are from there?

I couldn’t find Saint Joseph, Texas, but Saint Jo, Texas is Cretaceous according to the Geologic Map

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I am so very sorry to hear of the loss of your mother! I lost mine in 2012. I sat by her side almost non-stop the last 10 days of her life. It was the most heart wrenching experience of my life. It was horrible to watch her die the way she did.

I’ve lost a lot of loved ones in my life. I think with her loss I finally learned to grieve a better, healthier way. Each time the sense of loss would hit me I would immediately seek to remember what I had been blessed to experience as a result of her in my life. I learned to grieve with a sense of gratitude and thankfulness for all the good memories and all the love and care she gave to me. I’m Christian, so for me I’d send up a prayer of thankfulness and gratitude to God for how I was blessed by her and all the good things I learned from her. Then I would ask for comfort in my grieving. That way of grieving made all the difference for me. Before, with the death of others I’d grieve the loss so heavily and be pulled into a very dark and low place that overwhelmed and incapacitated me. But grieving with gratitude made all the difference in the world. It didn’t mean I wasn’t sad or didn’t cry or feel down, but it kept me from being sucked into the dark abyss that I would go into before.

May I ask how old you are? I think you’re quite a bit younger than I. I sincerely would like to encourage and support you through this process. It’s actually one of my gifts or strengths. So if there is anything I can do to help lift you up and encourage you it would be my honor to do so. I’ve helped a lot of people through their dark times.

If you were here in Texas I’d take you out fossil hunting.

I couldn’t find St. Joseph either. The Carboniferous stuff in Texas runs in a fairly narrow band around the longitude of 98 to 99 with a latitude from 31-34 I think, if you know those kinds of things in your head. It might be slightly more, but close to that. That’s west of Ft. Worth and Temple a bit. 

I think the Pennsylvanian was pushed up to the surface in Texas by the Ouchita uplift that built the Ouchita mountains in Arkansas and created the Ouchita fold here in Texas and Oklahoma, pushing the Carboniferous to the surface. That event is responsible for all the natural gas being where it is in Texas so that it’s close enough to the surface to be drilled for.

Brownwood, Mineral Wells and Jacksboro are all along that longitude and are Pennsylvanian.

• I found this Informative 3

Oh!!!! It just hit me. There is a St. Joseph formation, Mississippian, in Northwest Arkansas that looks exactly like that. Is there any possibility it could be from NW Arkansas?

Compare these pics with what you have. Mine have bryozoa that looks like yours. There are also brachiopods, crinoids and some horn coral in mine.

These are from the St. Joseph in NW Arkansas that I have sitting on my back patio. The rock is a very hard, silica based rock. The white parts are often much lighter weight that it seems it should be. The orange is heavy.

70CAC614-8982-4EBE-B5A7-D4C22052BE6F.thumb.jpeg.cdfc8a323f9e2899185af3c540eded44.jpeg

8B799702-48B4-4A4F-8A3C-2A675E930501.thumb.jpeg.0dcf867d9f6adbd145f89738959ce072.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, KimTexan said:

St. Joseph formation

It might be a good idea to check geological records for the type locality of this formation. It need not be in that area, and other exposures would likely contain similar fossils.

9 hours ago, KimTexan said:

May I ask how old you are?

Just recently turned 18.

Bless you, young man.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."