Is this fish real?

Notidanodon

This fish is very cheap and after some researching that seems way too cheap, it looks very dyed to me.

maybe a bit of restoration and that’s why it’s so cheap, or the seller didn’t know much about it as he included literally 0 information so he just saw some Knightia or something and sold it like them:shrug:thanks:)

CC61023E-D7F7-49B5-A15D-8F6F28B3616F.jpeg

1 hour ago, will stevenson said:

it looks very died to me

It died alright, about 60 million years ago!

It has the appearance of a Green River Formation Priscacara. Your suspicions may be correct about paint (dye) being involved. Other than that possible monkey business, it's "real." It is a less common fish than Knightia.

• I found this Informative 5

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

I agree with a possibility of dye being involved. Unless the seller was in a financial crisis and desperately needed to sell for money, I have not seen a Priscacara of that quality be sold for that low.

• I found this Informative 1

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

It definitely looks a little dyed, but either way, I say good grab for the price. I have a few pieces in my collection that I got for incredible deals that I feel may be slightly enhanced, but it doesn't really stop me from enjoying them. As long as you know it's dyed, beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

This one is pretty heavily painted.  :( 

But to each his own.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me