Mammoth tooth?

Gavin

This was found on my property in Ellis county Texas.

Ellis county has history of mammoth fossil and we might of thought this part is a piece of a mammoth tooth?

5c567570da810_Screenshot_20190202-2257412.thumb.png.64e7537cd677a05f85ca1cda2f4303bf.png

It is an Inoceramus clam shell fragment. it looks like Austin Chalk formation material. The Austin Chalk is loaded with those clams. I’ve found some that were in excess of 4 feet across.

• I found this Informative 4

It would be helpful to learn your formations and geological periods. It has helped me a lot. It takes time to learn though and you have to have something to help you along.

My favorite tool is the Mancos iPhone app. If you don’t have an iPhone there is also the Rockd app, but Mancos far outweighs Rockd in terms of functionality and usefulness in my opinion.

Mammoth would not have been found in the Cretaceous. They were found in the Cenozoic era predominantly in the Pleistocene, but I believe existed into the early Holocene.

The clam is from the Austin Chalk which is in the upper Cretaceous. The Austin Chalk correlates with the European stages of Conician, Santonian and the lower Campanian.

These may be helpful to you.

ChronostratChart2018-08.jpg

This one is specific for the Texas Cretaceous.

ED9843A6-4617-435C-8AA2-B269E34A3703.thumb.jpeg.0f2777e01e8317737430cbb99b577b76.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

16 minutes ago, KimTexan said:

It would be helpful to learn your formations and geological periods. It has helped me a lot. It takes time to learn though and you have to have something to help you along.

My favorite tool is the Mancos iPhone app. If you don’t have an iPhone there is also the Rockd app, but Mancos far outweighs Rockd in terms of functionality and usefulness in my opinion.

Mammoth would not have been found in the Cretaceous. They were found in the Cenozoic era predominantly in the Pleistocene, but I believe existed into the early Holocene.

The clam is from the Austin Chalk which is in the upper Cretaceous. The Austin Chalk correlates with the European stages of Conician, Santonian and the lower Campanian.

These may be helpful to you.

ChronostratChart2018-08.jpg

This one is specific for the Texas Cretaceous.

ED9843A6-4617-435C-8AA2-B269E34A3703.thumb.jpeg.0f2777e01e8317737430cbb99b577b76.jpeg

What exactly is Cretaceous, I know it's ameteur but gotta start somewhere. I really appreciate these detailed explanations from everybody!

Sorry, I thought that would be an image when I posted it. Check out this reference on the geologic time scale.

Even though I don't like to use Wikipedia as a reference, this seems to do a pretty good job of covering it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geologic_time_scale

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

3 hours ago, Gavin said:

What exactly is Cretaceous

In practical terms for you it means your place was still under the western interior seaway.