February 2019 Finds of the Month Entries

digit

REMINDER: PLEASE carefully read ALL of the rules below.

Make sure you include all the required information, IN THE REQUESTED FORMAT (below) when you submit your fossil! 

If you have a question about a possible entry, please send me a PM.

Please pay special attention to Rule #5: 

Before and After Preparation Photos must be submitted for prepped specimens NOT  found during the Month of the Contest.

In addition to keeping the contest fair, this new qualification will encourage better documentation of our spectacular past finds.

Entries will be taken until 11:59:00 PM EDT on FEBRUARY 28, 2019

Any fossil submitted after that time, even if the thread is still open, will be deemed ineligible! 

Only entries posted with CLEAR photos and that meet the other guidelines will be placed into the Poll. 

Photos of the winning specimens may be posted to TFF's Facebook page.

Please let us know if you have any questions, and thanks for sharing more of your fossils and research this month.

Shortly after the end of the Month, separate Polls will be created for the Vertebrate and Invertebrate/Plant Find of the Month.

In addition to the fun of a contest, we also want to learn more about the fossils. 

Tell us more about your fossil, and why you think it is worthy of the honor. 

To view the Winning Fossils from past contests visit the Find Of The Month Winner's Gallery.

Now, go find your fossil, do your research, and make an entry!
Best of success to all, and good hunting!

Rules for The Fossil Forum's Vertebrate and Invertebrate/Plant Find of the Month Contests

1. Find a great Vertebrate Fossil or Invertebrate/Plant Fossil! Only fossils found personally by you are allowed. NO PURCHASED FOSSILS.
  2. Post your entry in the Find of the Month topic. Use a separate post for each entry. (Only two entries per member per contest category.)
  3. Your fossil must have been found during the Month of the Contest, or Significant Preparation * of your fossil must have been completed during the Month of the Contest.
  4. You must include the Date of Discovery (when found in the contest month); or the Date of Preparation Completion and Date of Discovery (if not found in the contest month).
  5. Before and After Preparation photos must be submitted for prepped specimens not found during the Month of the Contest. Please make sure you arrange for photos if someone else is preparing your fossil find and completes the prep requirements in the contest month.
  6. You must include the Common and/or Scientific Name.
  7. You must include the Geologic Age or Geologic Formation where the fossil was found.
  8. You must include the State, Province, or region where the fossil was found.
  9. You must include CLEAR, cropped, well-lit images (maximum 4 images). If you are proud enough of your fossil to submit it for FOTM, spend some time to take good photos to show off your fossil.
  10. Play fair and honest. No bought fossils. No false claims.

* Significant Preparation = Substantial work to reveal and/or repair important diagnostic features, resulting in a dramatic change in the look of the fossil. The qualification of Significant Preparation is decided at the discretion of staff. Any doubts as to the eligibility of the entry will be discussed directly with the entrant.

******* Please use the following format for the required information: *******

Date of Discovery

Scientific and/or Common Name

Geologic Age or Geologic Formation

State, Province, or Region Found

Photos of Find (Please limit to 4 clear, cropped, and well-lit images.)

(If prepped, before and after photos are required, please.)

• I found this Informative 1

Good morning everyone, here is the first my invertebrate fossil for the contest:

Found 2019. 02. 05

Divarilima sp. file clam fossil

Early Cretaceous

Found in Kursenai town (Siauliai district), Northern Lithuania  

divarilima.jpg

• I found this Informative 8

The second invertebrate find.

Found 2019.02.03

Ludlow, Late Silurian

Kogulanychia sp. bivalve (belongs to Ambonychiidae)

Found in Nikanciai village, Siauliai district, Northern Lithuania.

kogulanychia.JPG

And the vertebrate fossils for contest :)

Found 2019. 02. 02

Cordylidae lizard osteoderm

Paleocene

Found in Karkle village, Klaipeda district, Western Lithuania

cordylidae osteoderm.jpg

• I found this Informative 7

The second vertebrate:

Found 2019.02.02

Scorpaenidae modern teleost scale

Paleocene

Found in Karkle village, Klaipeda district, Western Lithuania

scorpaeniformes scale 1.jpg

Hay hi @D.N.FossilmanLithuania,

Can You post pictures that are natural lighting rather than the color enhanced ones You posted?

Thank You,

Tony

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Found 2019. 02. 16

A cross section of a Lepidodendron cone (Strobile) Lepidostrobus sp

from Lepidodendraceae ,Lycophytes,

Westphalien B,upper carboniferous,

near Lens, Northern France

IMG_8094.JPG

IMG_8098.JPG.8ab7b4fbb1e29358b4e32b5a933288f2.JPG

IMG_8090.JPG.826c8c023c9f4556df11f9a1393bfa4e.JPG

• I found this Informative 10

1 hour ago, nala said:

Hello, 

Found 2019. 02. 16

A cross section of a Lepidodendron cone (Strobile) Lepidostrobus sp from Lepidodendraceae ,Lycophytes,Westphalien B,upper carboniferous,near Lens, Northern France

Wow. That is a really awesome specimen. I was actually thinking about entering until I saw this gem. I should probably just wait for easier competition, as this looks like a winner to me :rofl:

I hope (as the ROFL emoticon suggests) you are kidding (no, the cone is indeed awesome). :)

The FOTM contest is not just an "enter if I think I can win" type of contest. It is meant as a showcase for the special finds our members find each month. True, there can only be a single winner in each category but makes for a a great place to gather all of the impressive finds our members make each month so others can enjoy them. Looking back through the monthly contests over the years distills the great diversity and beauty of the items our membership is lucky enough to have in their personal collections (though some of these beauties eventually find their way into scientific collections).

Cheers.

-Ken

On 2/21/2019 at 12:54 PM, facehugger said:

Wow. That is a really awesome specimen. I was actually thinking about entering until I saw this gem. I should probably just wait for easier competition, as this looks like a winner to me :rofl:

Perhaps could you try Member of the Month ?:headscratch:You look like a winner to me also:rofl:

On 2/21/2019 at 1:05 PM, digit said:

I hope (as the ROFL emoticon suggests) you are kidding (no, the cone is indeed awesome). :)

The FOTM contest is not just an "enter if I think I can win" type of contest. It is meant as a showcase for the special finds our members find each month. True, there can only be a single winner in each category but makes for a a great place to gather all of the impressive finds our members make each month so others can enjoy them. Looking back through the monthly contests over the years distills the great diversity and beauty of the items our membership is lucky enough to have in their personal collections (though some of these beauties eventually find their way into scientific collections).

Cheers.

-Ken

While it is a joke, it is also demonstrative of my competitive nature.

I guess what I mean to say is - I would vote for his fossil of the month before I voted for my own planned entry. Because it is simply much, much cooler. 

On 2/21/2019 at 5:17 PM, nala said:

Perhaps could you try Member of the Month ?:headscratch:You look like a winner to me also:rofl:

Nah. Never been the community service type. 

7 hours ago, facehugger said:

Never been the community service type.

You are:

7 hours ago, facehugger said:

I would vote for his fossil of the month before I voted for my own planned entry.

:):dinothumb:

Btw, would like to see your planned FOTM entry :):popcorn:.

Franz Bernhard

My FOTM for this month:

Nautiloid: Poterioceras cf.

Found on 16 february 2019

Late devonian, matagne shales.

Chimay Belgium 

Lenght 17cm width 14cm 

received_2437371669875647.jpeg

received_679155155820943.jpeg

• I found this Informative 9

Vertebrates a little slow this month, so I'll try to spice things up a little bit :)

Had a few minutes yesterday to stop by a site and see if anything had eroded out since I was there last.  I found this pile of crumbs that appeared to have some potential, and when I got Humpty Dumpty put back together again, I had my largest tooth to date at just shy of 1 3/4 inches.

Date discovered: 2/23/2019

Archosaur tooth (most likely the phytosaur Redondasaurus)

Late Triassic, ~204-202 mya

Redonda Formation, Quay County, NM

20190223_190738.thumb.jpg.d8fe04e77c1a72dacbf5446a2f1008f0.jpg

20190223_232218.thumb.jpg.d0f783ee0f628d0feabb75accee60f88.jpg

20190223_232243.thumb.jpg.4944949a80ade9a894577558e39ee89c.jpg

7 hours ago, Cowboy Paleontologist said:

when I got Humpty Dumpty put back together again, I had my largest tooth to date at just shy of 1 3/4 inches.

Quite the puzzle you had there :) And with very nice results!

Beautiful tooth!

-Christian

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

While this tooth may not be the largest I’ve found it definitely makes up for its size with color...extremely rare to find anything in a shade of blue from South Alabama! The tooth is 1-5/8” along the slant and is 1-5/16” wide. 

Found 2/17/2019

Cretoxyrhina (Ginsu Shark)

Blufftown formation (Campanian)

South Alabama 

37472D64-1DAA-4332-BC68-44FEC1341FDF.jpeg

86D78E5A-9211-4C1E-B0A2-C86126432817.jpeg

This is the second largest Xiphactinus tooth I’ve ever found! The enamel is almost completely gone but it still remains an extremely rare find due to its size and location. The tooth is 2-1/8” long and 9/16” wide. 

Found 2/17/2019

Xiphactinus (Bulldog of the Cretaceous seas)

Blufftown formation (Campanian)

South Alabama 

BFFE0BBE-F0F4-44B7-9176-CD966C5C8FD1.jpeg

E61DDF72-AC2B-4A52-80F5-106606A104D8.jpeg

Found on 2/20

Giant Fossil Armadillo Jaw Section / Holmesina Floridanus                   (I think, could be Holmesina septentrionalis)

GA2.jpg

GA1.jpg

GA3.jpg

GA4.jpg

• I found this Informative 9

I'll go ahead and toss this brachiopod plate into the ring. Not yet 100% sure on IDs, but entering it now to meet deadline.

-Brachiopod and Crinoid columnal hash plate

-Found 2/23/18

-Early Silurian/Red Mountain Formation

-Dalton, Georgia

_IMG_000000_000000.thumb.jpg.53b1b75e68c8511be27cc6a5b81d866b.jpg

IMG_20190223_212055198.thumb.jpg.65ce542791ffcbf87fb5ad0b18e6efd2.jpg

_IMG_000000_000000.thumb.jpg.0f573a966cf4a8f6446eee24666e4523.jpg

If anyone has Brachiopod IDs, please let me know so I can change the name! :D

• I found this Informative 6

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

Some very nice finds :) Going to be another tough decision.

I also want to participate with a plate with a vertebra and a rib. Its from the triassic Grenzbonebed from a quarry in southern Germany. The vertebra was brocken into three pieces so I had to glue it and I restored it a bit with apoxie sculpt. The prep took about 4/5 hours.

The rib piece is about 11 cm long and the vertebra together with the attached spine (not sure if this is the right word) is about 9 cm long.

Date of Discovery: 5/22/18

Finished prep: 2/27/19

Scientific and/or Common Name: probably Nothosaurus

Geologic Age or Geologic Formation: Triassic (Grenzbonebed which is the Muschelkalk/Keuper boundary)

State, Province, or Region Found: Germany, Baden-Württemberg

Unprepped:

5c76af626d06f_unprp.thumb.JPG.6eabd131bdd68bbd1b7c2ab3bc783615.JPG

And prepped:

7.thumb.JPG.9801228ae44d1a7bc024e50896ed1ab4.JPG

6.JPG.f1ee003d272bc78680cc9cc0b98771a6.JPG

5.thumb.JPG.d499864d2a1df1c7ae5d986b38f24aac.JPG

• I found this Informative 10

Many greetings from Germany ! Have a great time with many fossils :)

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif