Florida Bone...possible Juvenile Tooth Fragment?

Bronzviking

Hello all, I found this piece of bone on IRB, Florida and it's about 1/2" x 1/2". I know it's pretty small to ID but it has some distinctive marks on it. My initial guess was a juvenile horse tooth frag, but than I saw pics of sloth that had similarities. I have photos of 6 different views. The photos are not as sharp as I would like, but the best I can get. Can you ID it? Thanks so much!

Back tooth.jpg

Front Tooth.jpg

end1.jpg

end1b.jpg

end1top.jpg

end2.jpg

1 minute ago, KimTexan said:

@Bronzviking Have you looked through Harry’s tooth gallery? He’s got a lot on there.

Do you have the link? I can't find my bookmark. Thanks!

32 minutes ago, KimTexan said:

Maybe a ground sloth tooth fragment?

Great resource Kim! Thank you. After going through the photos I'm leaning towards sloth too. Maybe Harry can give his expert opinion.  :)

• I found this Informative 1

54 minutes ago, Bronzviking said:

Great resource Kim! Thank you. After going through the photos I'm leaning towards sloth too. Maybe Harry can give his expert opinion.  :)

You’re welcome.

I have referenced @Harry Pristis‘s gallery many, many times and shared it or pictures from his gallery with many people. I’m always careful to give him photo credits though. I think he should put a Harry Pristis water mark on them so I can be lazy and not have to give him credit every time. :P 

I can see how that may take away from the scientific presentation of the specimens though.

He has a bone gallery and others too, which is largely Pleistocene. The teeth and bone ones have been the most helpful. There is some really cool stuff there.

I’ve wondered if they are all personal finds or if there is a mix of purchase or something. If they’re all personal finds it is an incredibly impressive personal collection. I’m sure what we see is only the tip of the iceberg.

• I found this Informative 1

There's not a lot of this tooth to work with, but an equus horse is a reasonable possibility, I think.  Perhaps it's from a tooth like the "A." example below.

horse_unid_m3pair.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest