Sand Dollar ID

Nimravis

I have had this sand dollar in my collection for forever, I alway keep it with a modern one. 

I have no info on it and it was given to me from a friend. 

Any ID and possible location would be appreciated.

D0AF99CB-838E-4043-BB8B-AD87EE885769.thumb.jpeg.148bc2b79dd3bba30a70d19601cb3f4d.jpegDC949F28-CC87-4B45-A692-68EB92041437.thumb.jpeg.c2181385ced574e17773ae5eb7dd6f50.jpeg

Thanks Ynot for calling me.

Yes, second one is Dendraster. For the 1st one I think it is Mellita quinquiesperforata (mines are from SC).

Minravis, you have a recent sea urchins collection ?

Coco

• I found this Informative 3

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

3 hours ago, Coco said:

Thanks Ynot for calling me.

Yes, second one is Dendraster. For the 1st one I think it is Mellita quinquiesperforata (mines are from SC).

Minravis, you have a recent sea urchins collection ?

Coco

Thanks Coco and no I do not. The top one is not a fossil, it is a recent Sand dollar, I just keep them together.

OK, I supposed Dendraster is fossil, it is the reason why I didn't give a species name, I only know the recent ones.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

The ones from the central coast of California I have found are Dendaster ashleyi. 

Pliocene approx. 5mya

20190203_144628.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

I numbered, there are five perforations. :)
There might be fossil Mellita quinquiesperforata, although is extant.

" The occurrence of fossils of Mellita quinquiesperforata is also confirmed." - according to R.Lopes. 2011. Fossil sand dollars (Echinoidea, Clypeasteroida) from the Southern Brazilian coast. Rev. bras. paleontol. 14(3): 201-214

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

41 minutes ago, Coco said:

OK, I supposed Dendraster is fossil, it is the reason why I didn't give a species name, I only know the recent ones.

Coco

Correct Coco, the second one is definitely a fossil and I will look up the info- thanks.

Could you show the fractured surface of the broken margins of the first specimen?

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

• 3 years later...
On 2/3/2019 at 3:07 PM, Nimravis said:

Correct Coco, the second one is definitely a fossil and I will look up the info- thanks.

The second one might be from the Pliocene Etchigoin Formation, Kettleman Hills, CA.  If you drop a little vinegar on it and some oil comes off, it might be from there.  I've seen similar preservation with Dendraster from the Chula Vista area, San Diego County, CA.