Yesterday's find: Bone at Belmar, New Jersey

jpenn

A friend of mine spotted this on the beach at Belmar, NJ yesterday February 2nd. This is kind of an unusual locale, adjacent to the jetty at Shark River Inlet where the Shark River meets the Atlantic. In the past my buddy and I have found small beachworn fossil shark teeth at this spot, so we thought for old time's sake we'd take a quick look again. We didn't find any teeth (there's much less fine gravel there now than in the past) but he did find this, which is way bigger than anything we've found here before. I have some guesses but I would like other eyes on this too in case I'm missing something obvious.

Thanks in advance

the_bone_of_belmar.jpg

It’s a bone frag of some sort, possibly a vert.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

1 hour ago, ynot said:

Really need better lighted pictures, but I do not see a vert.

I'm not sure of it being a vertebra either as I can't see where the arch would have been/been attached to. The overall profile of it is like a vert though so i put that in the tags anyway.

I had this inches away from 100 watts of light. I can grab even more lamps and try again, what area do you need better lit?

1 minute ago, jpenn said:

I'm not sure of it being a vertebra either as I can't see where the hemal arch would have been/been attached to. The overall profile of it is like a vert though so i put that in the tags anyway.

I had this inches away from 100 watts of light. I can grab even more lamps and try again, what area do you need better lit?

Try taking the pictures in direct sunlight.

All of the posted pictures are too dark to see what is in the object.

Also it would help if You did not stitch the pictures and kept them around 1 meg per picture. You can add additional pictures in replies rather than stuffing all into one post. This will give viewers a larger more detailed view. 

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

5 minutes ago, ynot said:

Try taking the pictures in direct sunlight.

Gonna have to wait for that one. :P

Brightened: 

the_bone_of_belmar.jpg.60e6c754cce5b6271ad22e8cc18bcdd1.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Now that I can see detail (thanks Tim @Fossildude19), it looks like mostly interior bone with little of the exterior bone left. I doubt an accurate id can be made, only guesses.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

general shape could be terminal (tip of tail) bony fish vert. (edit) on second thought perhaps a very worn thin mammal vert?.....

But as others have said the exterior detail is worn off. You get any Xiphodolamia teeth there?

6 hours ago, Plax said:

You get any Xiphodolamia teeth there?

It's been about 25 years since I last picked there, but I can't recall any of that form and definitely none of their usual size. I like the idea of it being fish, the circular depression around the one foramen looks kinda fishy. It's thin in profile like a cervical mammal vertebra often is but I can't find a match for that yet.

Was hoping I could get more than just 'unidentified chunk, can't be identified to Class level'' from this since the general outline is there and the foraminae look like they could be somewhat distinctive.Anyway, here's some photos using Solar wattage, targeting the least worn surfaces:

20190204_153756_HDR.jpg

20190204_153633_HDR.jpg