Zenmaster6

Hey, I'm not sure if I can post this here or if there is another spot for this post. Feel free to move it to wherever it belong or let me know. 

I live in Tacoma Washington in Pierce County. I have looked around Washington on Geologic maps and found a couple notable spots here and wanted to save the community time so they could quickly see a few good areas. At Cedar River Park near Renton. Of course you need to walk down a ways from the entrance to the TS Zone on the micromap I show below (the pink strip along the center to far east part of the map) Here you can find plant fossils and other fossils I have yet to discover. I currently have only found carbonized Eocene wood but did not spend much time here. I never checked the pink area because I was following an outdated map.

There is a tremendous amount of slate, shale, mudstone and sedimentary rocks around here, its stunning (for the area). 

Another spot you may like that is notable for fossils is on the next map around the blue zone around the clam shell that says 51 on the cedar river, however in the Tacoma Quadrangle. You can find shells, plants and other fossils unknown to me.  Just thought incase you hadn't seen either spot it might help you out to know about it. I hope you have luck in your findings there. I also do not have a minimap for this but I know the ghost town by Franklin Washington has good plant fossils as well. Best of luck!   - John

Renton Cedar River.PNG

Capture.PNG

Kane

Thanks for sharing these. 

I would, however, advise a bit of caution about posting any productive sites you'd like to keep under some degree of control. As this forum is publicly searchable by the rest of the internet, it only takes a few unscrupulous collectors to swoop in and pick it clean. Some of us have experienced this directly, which makes us a bit more guarded about sharing sites publicly, and instead sharing them with the few we can trust. 

FranzBernhard
12 minutes ago, Zenmaster6 said:

I haven't seen any resources online in my area so I felt this would be a good place to send anyone looking for a gateway into the hobby, and also maybe bring people to the forum from outside using the keywords of my area, such as me.

Great, great, great!! :) Thanks so much!

14 minutes ago, Zenmaster6 said:

probably only PM others in the area with the "good" spots.

Also great!

I am doing the same - sharing some sites with the world. And other sites with nearly nobody...

Franz Bernhard

pnwAdam

I think what you did here is awesome.  No one on here shares because they care more about hording their locations instead of giving more people a chance to learn

DPS Ammonite
4 hours ago, pnwAdam said:

Wait...are you even in the pnw?

What is pnw?

Edit: pnw probably means Pacific Northwest. Now I wonder of what significance it is that Kane is or is not in the Pacific Northwest.

jpc

I totally agree with Tim.  Well, said. 

Uncle Siphuncle

Human nature can be an unpredictable thing, so I echo the need to take the time to get to know the other guy before sharing anything of real value.  I’ve had best success in sharing important sites with collectors experienced enough to have found good sites on their own, and been burned by others.  This leaves people with the deepest understanding of site value.  Also, since they’ve found many of their own sites, they are less likely to rationalize making my site their personal “forever site”, racing me there every time the conditions are good.  Red carpet goes out first to collectors who offer their good sites first, whether I take them up on their offer or not.  It shows maturity and responsibility up front.  All that said, I maintain a short list of sites to send people I don’t know well, as helping people is satisfying.  I just try to help in a way that establishes personal boundaries while insulating me from human nature run afoul, so I’m not left holding a sack o’ woe, again.  Remember, adults show up at the community table prepared to give something of equal or greater value than what they expect to take away.

FranzBernhard
On 12.10.2019 at 11:36 PM, pnwAdam said:

because they care more about hording their locations instead of giving more people a chance to learn

Many wise words have already been said!

The sites around me are not spectacular in any way, but:

On 12.10.2019 at 11:36 PM, pnwAdam said:

giving more people a chance to learn

That´s the reason why I share some sites with the public. Well, the other reason is very selfish: Its easy pickings after someone else has dug at particular sites. Nobody takes everything, most people collect only the big stuff (which is rare at these sites), and after some rain everything is clean and some nice fossils are just laying around:

However, there are some sites (about 5) on the map in the topic linked above, that are so nice (as usual quite small, but well exposed, with many fossils visible), that I have not picked anything from these sites myself. I will nobody tell, which spots, I am really hoarding these.

I am only collecting at sites that are not well exposed and already somewhat prone to destruction by mother nature (see the visited sites in the link above, but there are some more). Most of these "public" sites are now better exposed then when I found them, some sites have not really changed since then.

And there are many sites on this map, that are are also not of the nice-type, but would be worth some detailed exploration, aka light digging (about 10 sites) - what I have not done yet. Maybe I will do this somewhere in the future, maybe not. I don´t know.

I would like to share more sites than I have done, but there is a major obstacle: The area is heavily populated, but the creeks in the forests are very steep and the sites are usually at very steep slopes, hence most of them are not easy to reach. And it is not easy to give proper directions. You can give coordinates, of course, but which way to take is a different matter.

Btw, the map above is the result of about 100 hours of prospecting during about 2 years.

Franz Bernhard

winnph

Sharing information about particular sites can be problematic for many reasons, I agree with most of the last few posts.

For pnwAdam, as someone in the same region, I'd recommend looking at the maps for your area from this:

http://www.dnr.wa.gov/Publications/ger_geologic_maps_wa.pdf

Then, google & read about each of the sedimentary layers listed, and go to the 7.5 minute maps for each local area that has promising formations (click on the grid in the lower right for the latest list of higher resolution maps).

You probably won't find a great site right away, but you'll  end up finding a site eventually, and you could be the only person who knows about it!