Proper Fossil Labeling

Masp

I’m in the process of creating some labels for my specimens and may end up posting again in this thread for help from time to time. Hopefully it’ll help others as well.

I have a neat tooth sold to me awhile back as Zarafasaura oceanis, Phosphate Beds, Kourigba, Morocco. I don’t know much about Elasmosaurs, but would label name be appropriate, or is it really an indeterminate elasmosaur tooth?

• I found this Informative 1

Zarafasaura oceanis is the only described elasmosaur in the Phosphate Beds from Khouribga. More may be present but no evidence of that yet.

• I found this Informative 3

9 minutes ago, gigantoraptor said:

Zarafasaura oceanis is the only described elasmosaur in the Phosphate Beds from Khouribga. More may be present but no evidence of that yet.

Hmm tough call that’s what I thought. So in your opinion maybe in that case it’s okay to label it as such for now even though it may not be 100% true?

7 minutes ago, Masp said:

Hmm tough call that’s what I thought. So in your opinion maybe in that case it’s okay to label it as such for now even though it may not be 100% true?

Yeah, label it as Zarafasaura oceanis. There is no evidence of other elasmosaurs.

In case you're unsure, and tooth morphology doesn't correspond exactly to Zoceanis, just label it as Elasmosauridae indet. :) 

-Christian 

• I found this Informative 1

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

Run your Zoceanis football into the infield and through the uprights.  If a ref flags your play at some point be a gentleman and change the tag then with resolve.

• I found this Informative 3

49 minutes ago, goatinformationist said:

Run your Zoceanis football into the infield and through the uprights.  If a ref flags your play at some point be a gentleman and change the tag then with resolve.

Lol