Sign in to follow this  
Masp

Proper Fossil Labeling

Masp

I’m in the process of creating some labels for my specimens and may end up posting again in this thread for help from time to time. Hopefully it’ll help others as well.

I have a neat tooth sold to me awhile back as Zarafasaura oceanis, Phosphate Beds, Kourigba, Morocco. I don’t know much about Elasmosaurs, but would label name be appropriate, or is it really an indeterminate elasmosaur tooth?

gigantoraptor

Zarafasaura oceanis is the only described elasmosaur in the Phosphate Beds from Khouribga. More may be present but no evidence of that yet.

Masp
9 minutes ago, gigantoraptor said:

Zarafasaura oceanis is the only described elasmosaur in the Phosphate Beds from Khouribga. More may be present but no evidence of that yet.

Hmm tough call that’s what I thought. So in your opinion maybe in that case it’s okay to label it as such for now even though it may not be 100% true?

gigantoraptor
7 minutes ago, Masp said:

Hmm tough call that’s what I thought. So in your opinion maybe in that case it’s okay to label it as such for now even though it may not be 100% true?

Yeah, label it as Zarafasaura oceanis. There is no evidence of other elasmosaurs.

Masp

Thank you :dinothumb:

The Amateur Paleontologist

In case you're unsure, and tooth morphology doesn't correspond exactly to Zoceanis, just label it as Elasmosauridae indet. :) 

-Christian 

goatinformationist

Run your Zoceanis football into the infield and through the uprights.  If a ref flags your play at some point be a gentleman and change the tag then with resolve.

Masp
49 minutes ago, goatinformationist said:

Run your Zoceanis football into the infield and through the uprights.  If a ref flags your play at some point be a gentleman and change the tag then with resolve.

Lol

Masp

Here’s the tooth here for final consensus. It’s actually very unique with a predation mark.  

B6D276FC-59AE-40C0-8214-794849BB61E0.jpeg