ID on possible coral, snail?, and mystery 'spine' like objects

Kato

Recently completed a lengthy set of walkabouts in the lower Pennsylvanian. I have a lot that I can pseudo-identify and am comfortable leaving them alone for now. OTH, I am hopeful someone with the skills will provide some helpful nudges in assigning more accurate names to the following:

I believe this is a coral. This is about 4" tall and 3.5" wide

image.png.8c41b81d8edfd1bdac2eb573e0c9d949.png

Zoom in

image.png.74043f35a3a0b99707d82c6421378ddc.png

I'm calling it a snail but I know that is not correct. Max length is 1.5"

image.png.6cc2be86992ef9dbb4ed8cd3da99bf64.png

And then these mystery spine-like objects on a sort of mash plate. It is hard to tell but the long intermittent one,  swooping from lower left to upper right, maybe indeed be a single long strand 3" long

image.png.d972441603a8f8c99d70c72f6a413f90.png

image.png.78d475942ae157070db30198014f89e6.png

image.png.d571de22cd3a5381dd8568aa546f233a.png

• I found this Informative 1

The "spines" remind me of sponge root tufts.

spng8b.thumb.JPG.7460fbc976a23260cb02842e5008a293.JPG

picture from here

• I found this Informative 7

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Interesting.

The first one seems to me to be a syringoporid tabulate coral.

I'm not quite sure if the second one is a nautiloid or a gastropod, but I think gastropod is more likely.

I so like @abyssunder's idea for the last ones.

They are very pretty.:)

• I found this Informative 5

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I agree with @Tidgy's Dad on the first two, definitely think gastropod for the second and a gorgeous one too! I've found identical spines in the lower Carboniferous/Mississippian of Scotland and thought they were from spiny brachiopods but now I'm wondering if they were sponge root tufts all along!

• I found this Informative 4

Similar "spines" were presented  in these older topics:

• I found this Informative 4

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Thank you for helping me to continue to expand my knowledge. I just took the time to examine the sponge root tuft specimen further. The specimen is about 1.5" thick. Three of the sides have tufts exposed down 1/2-5/8" from the top surface. The fourth side is a gray mass with zero fossils of any kind. I will study to see if I can determine how the sponge may have been positioned in relation to the tufts.

Thanks again!

• I found this Informative 1

You are welcome!
Hope it doesn't hurt your consideration to put a click on the proper area for those who were involved in the determination.

• I found this Informative 2

Thomas Mann

My Library

2 hours ago, abyssunder said:

You are welcome!
Hope it doesn't hurt your consideration to put a click on the proper area for those who were involved in the determination.

Among other things that is something I don't know how to do...will need to check the pinned items for how-to's.

1 hour ago, Kato said:

Among other things that is something I don't know how to do...will need to check the pinned items for how-to's.

click on the shark tooth in the lower right corner of others posts.

• I found this Informative 3

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

8 hours ago, ynot said:

click on the shark tooth in the lower right corner of others posts.

My oversight. I just never noticed it until I logged into my acct and looked for it. From henceforth I shall use the shark tooth.