Teaching old things to young things :)-

Steve D.

I'd like to make an announcement that a new species of stegosaure has been found in Indiana... A young grad student has uncovered what appears to be a baby stegosaure that can glow in the dark! 

I'm sure this find will be published in all the big name magazines and that National Geographic Channel will cover down on this scientific discovery. 

It's great when you can share your hobby and teach your children :ighappy: :hammer01:

Screenshot_20190204-191743.png

Great find by the young man.:)

The preservation of colour is particularly interesting. 

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Awww, he was able to make the discovery others had missed, because he was wearing his lucky shark shirt!

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

14 hours ago, snolly50 said:

Awww, he was able to make the discovery others had missed, because he was wearing his lucky shark shirt!

This kid and sharks... His love for prehistoric creatures is doubled when talking about prehistoric sharks! 

22 minutes ago, Steve D. said:

This kid and sharks... His love for prehistoric creatures is doubled when talking about prehistoric sharks! 

That's because they are the greatest! Smart kid!:D

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

20 hours ago, Darktooth said:

That's because they are the greatest! Smart kid!:D

He is a smart kid brother. I just had a parent teacher conference with his teacher and he is at an eight year old understanding level.... which is why is mouth is just about as smart as his brain! haha

I can't wait till I can bring him with me on a dig. 

11 hours ago, Steve D. said:

I can't wait till I can bring him with me on a dig. 

He’s ready. I went on my first dig at the ripe old age of 4 and both of my boys came with me before they could properly walk! I remember carrying them along in one of those backpacks made for hauling kids around when hiking. :D

Of course, they didn’t do much digging but they sure had fun. Now, they’re 15 and 16 and are rather accomplished diggers.

Oh, and stegosaurs are the best dinosaurs by far.

1 hour ago, Ptychodus04 said:

He’s ready. I went on my first dig at the ripe old age of 4 and both of my boys came with me before they could properly walk! I remember carrying them along in one of those backpacks made for hauling kids around when hiking. :D

Of course, they didn’t do much digging but they sure had fun. Now, they’re 15 and 16 and are rather accomplished diggers.

Oh, and stegosaurs are the best dinosaurs by far.

Hey Steve I agree with Chris. Under the proper supervision any child can go on a fossil hunt. I had all my children out looking for Herkimer Diamonds when they were 3-4. They even got slightly hurt here and there. Nothing serious but it's all a part of growing up you know? You could surely find a kid friendly spot somewhere and show him what to look for. I think the earlier you introduce  him the better.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

10 hours ago, Darktooth said:

Hey Steve I agree with Chris. Under the proper supervision any child can go on a fossil hunt. I had all my children out looking for Herkimer Diamonds when they were 3-4. They even got slightly hurt here and there. Nothing serious but it's all a part of growing up you know? You could surely find a kid friendly spot somewhere and show him what to look for. I think the earlier you introduce  him the better.

I agree with both of you. It's more the attention span and safety of the kid that I am worried about. Just this morning, I made the call to take him to my dig site in northern Cincy to prep it for the upcoming spring. It is laced with thorny weeds and ants... good Lord do I loath ants (and spiders). Better to start clearing out the garbage plant life now. I'll let him see the area (which is sloped) and see how he does. Thanks for the input boys. I love the dialog this forum has. It makes collecting even more fun!!! 

41 minutes ago, Steve D. said:

I agree with both of you. It's more the attention span and safety of the kid that I am worried about. Just this morning, I made the call to take him to my dig site in northern Cincy to prep it for the upcoming spring. It is laced with thorny weeds and ants... good Lord do I loath ants (and spiders). Better to start clearing out the garbage plant life now. I'll let him see the area (which is sloped) and see how he does. Thanks for the input boys. I love the dialog this forum has. It makes collecting even more fun!!! 

Good choice. I think he will love the adventure with his dad. In my opinion, these are the things (when done often enough) that help them to maintain a partially clear mind as teens! :fingerscrossed:

The little ones definitely need a lot of supervision but it can be done. My boys have had their share of injuries (usually self induced learning to use the hammers) but nobody has sustained serious damage. My eldest came face to face with an agitated western diamondback due to a trip and fall at the ripe old age of 8. Thankfully, he understood the need for a slow retreat already. My youngest accidentally brought home a scorpion in his bag when he was 5 or 6 and we found it in his bedroom a few hours later (while he was playing with his plastic animals on the floor).

That being said, this is nothing compared to the close encounters with venomous wildlife that I have had (diamondbacks, water moccasins, copperheads, scorpions, black widows...). So, overall, the kids are safer than we are.:P

On 2/4/2019 at 8:14 PM, Tidgy's Dad said:

Great find by the young man.:)

The preservation of colour is particularly interesting. 

Well, I took my oldest boy out with me today and I doubled my take home! It was a really great experience. I found an area adjacent to my dig site that has up Earthed shale... I've not messed with shale plates before. It was great to learn and mess with that. The boy had a blast and even found part of a trilobite roller. 

• I found this Informative 2

Just now, Steve D. said:

Well, I took my oldest boy out with me today and I doubled my take home! It was a really great experience. I found an area adjacent to my dig site that has up Earthed shale... I've not messed with shale plates before. It was great to learn and mess with that. The boy had a blast and even found part of a trilobite roller. 

Splendid! :)

It's great you can share such precious time with your son and both enjoy it so much. 

And find fossils too!  

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png