Sign in to follow this  
Wolf89

Yorktown formation near Aurora NC

Wolf89

Would it hypothetically be possible to buy land near the phosphate mine in Aurora and rent a backhoe and eventually get down to the formation? How deep is the formation? Thanks, Tyler

Brett Breakin' Rocks

Hahaha ...... life goals. 

Ok. I'm done. 

Good Luck !!!  Trust me I'm there with you. 

sixgill pete

If I am correct we are talking somewhere in the neighborhood of 90 feet or so. Need something a little bigger than a backhoe. Hence the huge drag lines they use to get to the phosphate under everything.

Al Dente

At Aurora, the layer that produces the meg teeth is the bottom of the Yorktown is very deep. Even if you got down that deep, you would need massive pumps to get rid of the water. If I remember correctly, they pump out 85 million gallons a day.

Brett Breakin' Rocks
1 hour ago, Wolf89 said:

Would it hypothetically be possible to buy land near the phosphate mine in Aurora and rent a backhoe and eventually get down to the formation? How deep is the formation? Thanks, Tyler

To be honest .. just head south a little further and you can hit the Wando, Chandler Bridge and Ashley formations in the first 3 meters.  We just need to find a quiet little plot and open up a few new 'ponds' to find the good stuff.  Some amazing fossils lying riiiiight beneath the surface. Trust me, a well placed land purchase was always at the back of my mind. haha

We are a funny bunch no ??

Cheers,

Brett

PS. Crowdfunding ... ?

Wolf89
39 minutes ago, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

PS. Crowdfunding ... ?

oh man. How awesome would that be. 

SailingAlongToo
21 hours ago, Al Dente said:

At Aurora, the layer that produces the meg teeth is the bottom of the Yorktown is very deep. Even if you got down that deep, you would need massive pumps to get rid of the water. If I remember correctly, they pump out 85 million gallons a day.

Dont forget needing somewhere to place the spoils being dug out of the hole. Huge volume of spoils need a large acreage of land for disposal, even if temporary. 

Dewatering on the scale @Al Dente mentioned, requires state and federal "discharge" permits. Those permits will require regular sampling / analysis of discharge water quality to ensure you arent harming downstream flora and fauna. That sampling / analysis data is required to be submitted to state and federal agencies on a pre-determined, regular basis. Then there is the issue of posting a cash "bond" to get the permits. Last time I applied for said permits in 2012 bond was in the neighborhood of $200,000.

But hey, you get the land and I will help you complete the permit applications and coordinate the required stakeholder meetings. :D

RickNC

And you'll need the proper mining permits among others.