Some thoughts and experiences of a newbie dinosaur fossil collector

fossilsonwheels

12 hours ago, fossilsonwheels said:

Thank you very much for the compliment. Oh yes there are plenty of teeth that I would like to acquire. We are not doing dinos until the fall and I would like to get to 20 dinosaurs by the time we start. I think we are around 14-15 right now. The ones we will add for sure are...

Ankylosaur tooth is #1 on our list of attainable dinosaurs. I want to do an armored dinosaur. It is iconic and kids will love seeing a fossil from one I think.

Spinosaur is one we will add for sure but just have not yet.

Thescelosaurus is another fairly common one we will add at some point

The only other teeth I see us adding before fall for sure are additional ceratopsian, edomontosaurus, and moroccan sauropod teeth. We would like to have some teeth for kids to examine and those seem the most affordable options besides moroccan spinosaurs. There are some that we want to add but are not in our budget range (Troodon, Dakatoraptor, anything from the Morrison formation) but that is a good motivation to increase the budget. We are also still learning about dinos ourselves so we will probably find one or two that end up being affordable and fun to present. We will add a marine reptile and pterosaur as well. We do want to cover the non-dinosaur giant reptiles too.

We are open to suggestions too. Maybe that will be a good post here lol

Ankylosaurus itself is quite rare and somewhat expensive. I estimate $100 at least for one. I recommend getting Ankylosauria which includes the group, Nodosaurs. If you are lucky, you can get a Nodosaur tooth for $40.

Spinosaur is easy. No rush, just go for someone who has good stock, nice prices and knows his stuff. I recommend @Haravex

Thescelosaurus is easy too. I recommend getting either a rooted one or several small crowns (since they are tiny).

The next easy ceratopsian is Leptoceratops. They aren't expensive but they aren't very common either.

Edmontosaurus spitters can be gotten at $20. Heck, I've even see them given as freebies on expensive purchases.

Moroccan sauropod teeth can be found at $20-$50, depending on size and quality.

You seem to know your stuff. I agree on getting marine reptiles like mosasaur/plesiosaur and pterosaurs. I recommend getting a giant croc (Sarcosuchus/Deinosuchus ) and Ginsu Shark (Cretoxyrhina) since these were apex predators during the dinosaur's era and their relatives are still around today. Kids would love them!

• I found this Informative 2

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

8 minutes ago, -Andy- said:

Ankylosaurus itself is quite rare and somewhat expensive. I estimate $100 at least for one. I recommend getting Ankylosauria which includes the group, Nodosaurs. If you are lucky, you can get a Nodosaur tooth for $40.

Spinosaur is easy. No rush, just go for someone who has good stock, nice prices and knows his stuff. I recommend @Haravex

Thescelosaurus is easy too. I recommend getting either a rooted one or several small crowns (since they are tiny).

The next easy ceratopsian is Leptoceratops. They aren't expensive but they aren't very common either.

Edmontosaurus spitters can be gotten at $20. Heck, I've even see them given as freebies on expensive purchases.

Moroccan sauropod teeth can be found at $20-$50, depending on size and quality.

You seem to know your stuff. I agree on getting marine reptiles like mosasaur/plesiosaur and pterosaurs. I recommend getting a giant croc (Sarcosuchus/Deinosuchus ) and Ginsu Shark (Cretoxyrhina) since these were apex predators during the dinosaur's era and their relatives are still around today. Kids would love them!

We do have a couple of shark teeth that we will use, Cretoxyrhina and a very tiny freshwater Lissodes in the program.

I am pretty sure the Anky teeth I have seen for under $100 were Nodosaur then. okay that is helpful and Nodosaur is fine by me. Very cool info. Thank you very much.

I appreciate the recommendation on the spnio teeth. I have not yet bought one as the condition of the inexpensive ones on that auction site that shall not be named give me pause. I am the learning phase so I read alot and any info helps.

Edmontosaurus is not one I worry about. We can probably find some a decent number of teeth for the kids to handle this spring. Thescelosaurus we will add in the spring I think.

Leptoceratops is actually one I do want to pick up. my son was very interested in drawing that species. They are cute and would also be fun to present. I am already actively hunting for one those.

I understand there is more than one species of sauropod in the mix when it comes to the moroccan teeth. I need to study up on the differences and make sure I get a possible representative from each possible sauropod. That is our least expensive route to covering more than one sauropod.

Thank you very much. I am learning my stuff but I am a good student. I have much to learn but every bit of information helps !!!

• I found this Informative 1

Regarding Morrisson Fm fossils: 
Are you exclusively looking for teeth or also for bones? I can send you some sauropod bone fragments if that is interesting to you.

On 2/11/2019 at 2:15 AM, Flx said:

Regarding Morrisson Fm fossils: 
Are you exclusively looking for teeth or also for bones? I can send you some sauropod bone fragments if that is interesting to you.

We would love some bones, especially sauropod. I am interested. Send me a PM if you like.