hndmarshall

not sure what this is or if its even a fossil ... it actually looks like a dried up turd but it actually is stone 

I will be posting these pics of it dry, well mostly . I will then post a set of pics of it wet. Then I will post close ups of certain points on it.

It was found in a gravel pile from the Brazos River west of Houston Tx.
measures just shy of 4 inches long and one and a half inch wide.

000_0629.JPG

000_0630.JPG

000_0631.JPG

000_0632.JPG

Those polka dots in the top interesting look like fossils. Of what I can't say though.

The rock appears to be a conglomerate so if it is a fossil it has likely been reworked from it's original deposition point.  

• I found this Informative 1

On 2/5/2019 at 4:13 AM, Rockwood said:

Those polka dots in the top interesting look like fossils. Of what I can't say though.

The rock appears to be a conglomerate so if it is a fossil it has likely been reworked from it's original deposition point.  

when I get home I will try to get better pics of that first photo in the group it is an odd item

close up and hopefully better pics of the grouped items in the stone....could these be some sort of insect egg fossils or frog eggs or something else??

WIN_20190209_21_01_46_Pro.jpg

WIN_20190209_21_02_39_Pro.jpg

WIN_20190209_21_03_37_Pro.jpg

WIN_20190209_21_09_17_Pro.jpg

okie.PNG

then I find this  also on same stone no idea what it is got it damp so it shows up better..... looks nasty what ever it is..

WIN_20190204_14_42_08_Pro.jpg

35 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

It's hard to tell from the photos, in hand do you reckon them to be tubes or spheres ?

the top items oval in a case almost like eggs in an egg carton if you look close there are a couple missing ...the oval objects look all fractured crystallized?

the last pic I added they look long and segmented....almost worm like 

the items are embedded on that round flat part of the stone shown dry and wet.

000_0629.JPG

000_0635.JPG

8 minutes ago, ynot said:

Looking a lot like botryoidal agate.

I do not see a fossil in this.

Good eye tony. With the natural shape of larger crystals being exposed this way it isn't obvious, but I think that is it.

4 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Good eye tony. With the natural shape of larger crystals being exposed this way it isn't obvious, but I think that is it.

18 minutes ago, ynot said:

Looking a lot like botryoidal agate.

I do not see a fossil in this.

I don't see it 

Just now, hndmarshall said:

I don't see it 

If you take into account the way the stuff forms.   WIKI 

And adjust from the images you find of it to the fact that you are seeing a surface that is in progress, with the surfaces of the spheres not rounded out yet (or broken off)you will have it.

I still cant believe this is botryoidal agate it just has too much going on in it (other items pictured above) and what I am seeing are not formed correctly for the agate it is only one on a very small area and  not grouped but two by two in a line...also if you consider the egg carton effect it just don't say botryoidal agate to me....I will keep your suggestion in mind but will also keep looking.

12 minutes ago, hndmarshall said:

I still cant believe this is botryoidal agate it just has too much going on in it (other items pictured above) and what I am seeing are not formed correctly for the agate it is only one on a very small area and  not grouped but two by two in a line...also if you consider the egg carton effect it just don't say botryoidal agate to me....I will keep your suggestion in mind but will also keep looking.

Conglomerate is like natural concrete. It would be quite normal for it to have a lot going on, and just the type of situation where this would occur.

If I were trying to prove myself wrong (always a good idea) I would consider breaking it open in search of better evidence.

looks like fossil inclusions in a well rounded piece of limestone. Whatever it is I agree with Rockwood regarding giving it a wack.

2 hours ago, hndmarshall said:

Your rock has been stream tumbled which has worn down the exposed surfaces so most of what You are seeing is a cross section of the layers of the agate/jasper. In the pictures that show the "holes" in the rock the surface is protected from this weathering/tumbling and You can see the "hilly" (botroidial) nature that is typical of an agate/jasper. The "egg carton" is a coincidental occurrence and  clearly shows the layering that is typical of agates.

Altho there is evidence of other minerals in the body of this stone, I am 99.9999% sure it is a piece of agate/jasper.

I am 100% sure it is not an egg mass.

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

47 minutes ago, ynot said:

I am 100% sure it is not an egg mass.

He tends to see things as granular though. Probability gets a little closer to zero in my world. :)

well then lets give it a whack and she what this baby is made of...lol

........give me a little while then I will post pics and more info...

I think you'll find this to be another version of the chert nodules common to those gravels.  However, I'll also suggest that the "egg cartons" could be the eroded pores of a partial echinoid.  There also seems to be bits of replaced shell hash scattered within.  Breaking it could reveal more clues.  Use safety glasses.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

These chunks look similar to the carbonized wood scraps I find in sediment when looking for fossils but I can't tell if this is a rock or wood. I assume you're probably not interested in old wood but if you are you can always burn a piece and see if it smokes.

WIN_20190204_14_40_35_Pro.jpg.dadb547ed7dced843ce16e7e7d64830e.jpg

last few I wet the stone for better viewing...brings out the color also.... I could not find any of the little connected egg shaped thingies inside at all...they are only on that one part on the outside.

WIN_20190211_13_16_31_Pro.jpg

WIN_20190211_13_17_34_Pro.jpg

WIN_20190211_13_20_23_Pro.jpg

WIN_20190211_13_21_16_Pro.jpg

WIN_20190211_13_21_58_Pro.jpg

WIN_20190211_13_22_41_Pro.jpg

WIN_20190211_13_22_54_Pro.jpg

WIN_20190211_13_26_07_Pro.jpg

WIN_20190211_13_27_55_Pro.jpg

WIN_20190211_13_29_57_Pro.jpg

WIN_20190211_13_32_15_Pro.jpg

WIN_20190211_13_32_30_Pro.jpg

WIN_20190211_13_33_34_Pro.jpg

WIN_20190211_13_35_12_Pro.jpg

Wider shots of the fractured pieces are also useful.  ;)  I'm still thinking cherty shell hash.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ