Final clean up

rebu

I decided to expose some of the bone fragments on my otodus vertebrae cluster and now I will like to finish it. Is there any way I can clean the exposed bones? Some solution? I have been working with a needle mostly but can't clean the bones this way without damaging them. I will like to make them pop out after I preserve the whole thing. Any ideas?

20190205_070002.jpg

20190205_065857.jpg

20190205_065826.jpg

Screenshot_20190205-065709_Gallery.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

Very nice vertebrae and prep work. I cant see how big the piece so my answer may be a bit silly.  I like as much as possible fossils to be natural looking. If it needs preservation that is different . If it is a good size and your displaying it , I would just simply light it and get some shadow coming off the vertebrae. Cheers Bobby 

• I found this Informative 2

@rebu Air scribe and abrader at low pressure can be helpful in such situations, but you obviously don't have either. I'm not sure if any kind of chemical treatment other than preservatives would help. Maybe @Ptychodus04 has a useful suggeston for you.

• I found this Informative 3

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

2 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

Very nice vertebrae and prep work. I cant see how big the piece so my answer may be a bit silly.  I like as much as possible fossils to be natural looking. If it needs preservation that is different . If it is a good size and your displaying it , I would just simply light it and get some shadow coming off the vertebrae. Cheers Bobby 

Thanks Bobby, it is quite a big piece about 65x30cm. Yes I will be displaying it and you right about the lighting, it will look great if the lighting is done right. The most difficult part on it is to know when to stop, I wanted to leave it so many times already but always find something what I think can be improved and I just carry on. Hope I don't bring on the end just bag full of bones from my workshop :)

8 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

@rebu Air scribe and abrader at low pressure can be helpful in such situations, but you obviously don't have either. I'm not sure if any kind of chemical treatment other than preservatives would help. Maybe @Ptychodus04 has a useful suggeston for you.

Thanks for your answer. Yes you are right, I don't have an air scribe. I am just starting and this is basically my first project but I think I will get one soon because I am absolutely loving this prep work. Soonest I get home I can't wait to get to it, I am already looking for new project otherwise I am not sure what I will do when this one is finished :) The bug bit me and properly. Don't you think that the air scribe will damage the bones? They very fragile. 

• I found this Informative 1

8 minutes ago, rebu said:

Thanks Bobby, it is quite a big piece about 65x30cm. Yes I will be displaying it and you right about the lighting, it will look great if the lighting is done right. The most difficult part on it is to know when to stop, I wanted to leave it so many times already but always find something what I think can be improved and I just carry on. Hope I don't bring on the end just bag full of bones from my workshop :)

Nice size too and I understand very easy to over prep a specimen. As my friend Ludwigia said you could wait on ptychodus to  answer your question he was some really good knowledge.  :dinothumb:

This is probably one of those things you need to consolidate/stabilize with something like paraloid B72 before you can advance on the prep. 

You may find this helpful. It is a case study on the use of consolidants by Amy Davidson at the American Museum of Natural History.

http://preparation.paleo.amnh.org/assets/Davidson-BristolCyanoacrylatesButvar.ppt

She also has a lecture on YouTube on consolidants and adhesives that is informative.

There is helpful info here too:

http://preparation.paleo.amnh.org/48/solution-reactive-adhesives

11 minutes ago, KimTexan said:

This is probably one of those things you need to consolidate/stabilize with something like paraloid B72 before you can advance on the prep. 

You may find this helpful. It is a case study on the use of consolidants by Amy Davidson at the American Museum of Natural History.

http://preparation.paleo.amnh.org/assets/Davidson-BristolCyanoacrylatesButvar.ppt

She also has a lecture on YouTube on consolidants and adhesives that is informative.

There is helpful info here too:

http://preparation.paleo.amnh.org/48/solution-reactive-adhesives

Thank you Kim, I have the paraloid B72 here already and I will check this out for sure. I have never worked with it so any info is helpful. Your bison is a very cool find by the way, well done.

@rebu You can ever so slightly dampen the matrix you want to remove from the bones and continue with your needles. Make sure you don't soak the piece as it could become brittle. I like to do this with denatured alcohol rather than water.

• I found this Informative 3

2 hours ago, rebu said:

Don't you think that the air scribe will damage the bones? They very fragile. 

Not if you work carefully, but of course experience and a knowlege of anatomy is necessary. Air abrading at very low pressure often brings good results, but here as well you must be careful.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

57 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Not if you work carefully, but of course experience and a knowlege of anatomy is necessary. Air abrading at very low pressure often brings good results, but here as well you must be careful.

Also, the proper sized scribe with ample magnification is needed. I wouldn't go after this with an ME9100 but the Micro Jack 4 would handle it nicely.

5 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

@rebu You can ever so slightly dampen the matrix you want to remove from the bones and continue with your needles. Make sure you don't soak the piece as it could become brittle. I like to do this with denatured alcohol rather than water.

Thanks, yes I use water to make the matrix softer and then I work carefully with a needle to make sure I don't scratch the bones. I use ear plugs for the water to make sure I don't make it too wet. Now I tried ear plugs with 3 percent peroxide for cleaning the bones and it works quite well.

5 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

I think I will need to collect some experience and work with it for a while before I will attempt it on something like this. I will do some research on these equipment and I am sure I will get one soon. Thanks for your help 

28 minutes ago, rebu said:

I think I will need to collect some experience and work with it for a while before I will attempt it on something like this. I will do some research on these equipment and I am sure I will get one soon. Thanks for your help 

This isn't a low cost endeavor so beware. :D You can spend a couple thousand dollars before you know it.

5 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

This isn't a low cost endeavor so beware. :D You can spend a couple thousand dollars before you know it.

Yes I can see it, just don't tell my wife:D Just kidding I will take it easy, I think needle and Dremel is a good start.

2 minutes ago, rebu said:

Yes I can see it, just don't tell my wife:D

:muahaha:  Then beg for forgiveness in the event she realizes you've been skimming off the top of the family coffers to buy prep tools. Save some money for a quality bribe just in case begging doesn't work. :P

7 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

:muahaha:  Then beg for forgiveness in the event she realizes you've been skimming off the top of the family coffers to buy prep tools. Save some money for a quality bribe just in case begging doesn't work. :P

Every time I hear in my workshop "isn't this new?" I reply " no way, I showed it to you ages ago but you wasn't interested". So far it always worked :D

17 minutes ago, rebu said:

Every time I hear in my workshop "isn't this new?" I reply " no way, I showed it to you ages ago but you wasn't interested". So far it always worked :D

The same tactic works for my gun cabinet (I do live in Texas after all). As long as I make it inside without discovery, there's no proving the acquisition date. :P

3 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

The same tactic works for my gun cabinet (I do live in Texas after all). As long as I make it inside without discovery, there's no proving the acquisition date. :P

:muahaha: I see I am not alone, thanks I feel much better about myself. I will be sleeping like a baby tonight.

3 minutes ago, rebu said:

:muahaha: I see I am not alone, thanks I feel much better about myself. I will be sleeping like a baby tonight.

Are you going to wake up every couple hours crying and drink something from a bottle and wet yourself? :P Just kidding.

It's always nice to know I have a kindred spirit in a different timezone.

14 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Are you going to wake up every couple hours crying and drink something from a bottle and wet yourself? :P Just kidding.

It's always nice to know I have a kindred spirit in a different timezone.

:dinothumb: