Possible Mastodon Tooth Fragment

dsludden

Good afternoon, I went out to the beach by the old scout hut at Cherry Point and found several interesting items. I believe two of the pieces are fragments of a mastodon tooth. I will try to post as many pictures as possible. Thank you

9B42E975-D294-45E3-9A58-B0EA77F313E6.jpeg

43F41273-B473-40EF-B02A-990744677DFA.jpeg

95CC591F-EC37-432A-8EE0-1A99D6CDDF10.jpeg

Al Dente, thank you for the evaluation! Disappointed it’s not mastodon tooth but I love the fact I learned something new. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with me. 

• I found this Informative 1

Could you get a sharp close up of this spongy looking area in red? It could be cancellous bone.

possible mastodon.jpeg

If you could show a smidgen of enamel it would be a tooth, but I see none of that here.  Keep posting.

dsludden, just for clearer posts, you should state where as in state/ region you are finding your items.

This is an international forum and for anyone not in your immediate area, they ( as I) have no idea where Cherry Point is.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Caldigger my apologies to everyone. North Carolina is the state. I will include this information in future posts. 

Bronzviking, thank you for taking the time to look at my post. Here is a close up of the area outlined in red. 

0FFCC4CD-D516-4827-9C81-F204715339E4.jpeg

goatinformationist, thank you for commenting on my post. You are correct, there is no enamel on the piece. Thank you for teaching me something new! 

3 hours ago, dsludden said:

Bronzviking, thank you for taking the time to look at my post. Here is a close up of the area outlined in red. 

0FFCC4CD-D516-4827-9C81-F204715339E4.jpeg

Thanks for the pic. Also in future posts we need measurements of the specimen and very important the location like previously mentioned. I could see why you thought it was a tooth because of it's suggestive shape but unfortunately it appears to be an odd shaped iron-oxide concretion.

Bronzviking thank you for the reply!  I love unusual stuff because of the learning it provides. And thank you for the reminder to include complete details such as detailed location and size. I can’t expect help when I don’t provide details!