dsludden

I found this item On Sunday while walking the small beach at Cherry Point. Shaped similar to tooth with the ridge on lateral surface but matrix is adhered tightly and hides the contours in pictures. Any help greatly appreciated! 3 inches by 2 inches

41FC6D3C-F176-49C3-AF1F-3FB80B5E160F.jpeg

6C9B048F-DD3B-411B-99C5-FE206A0CEA9B.jpeg

4002B99A-1958-4B57-AF45-DFFD4EA371B4.jpeg

70AD5E05-A4CA-41A0-8272-1D73EF673250.jpeg

I'm not getting a bone vibe off of this. :unsure: 

Looks like a nodule or concretion, to me. 

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Rockwood, as always thank you for sharing your knowledge! I appreciate everyone taking the time to look and comment. I was hoping it was “something cool” but I will settle for a great lesson in learning the difference between a fossil and a cool “natural item” with trace fossils attached. 

Ynot, thank you for commenting. I appreciate you sharing your opinion on this piece. I will label this a super interesting concretion and file in my fossil junk drawer. 

44 minutes ago, dsludden said:

with trace fossils attached. 

Actually the shell bit would be a body fossil. I thought it could indicate the environment was right for it to be a trace.

@Plax Aren't bog iron pipes thought to be following root traces at least in some instances. I'd call that a fossil gimmie. :)

In picture 5 I'm seeing shell and rock bits in probably like the guys said a concretion. I'm not seeing bone either but an interesting piece.

Rockwood and plax, thank you for continuing to teach me more about my finds!  I appreciate the patience exhibited by members on the site, it makes me want to learn more. I must admit I have not heard about bog iron pipes so I have a lot to learn!  to google I go! Thanks

google is your friend. Have seen 1 foot plus hollow bog iron pipes in weathered cretaceous sands in NJ. Some of the tiny ones one sees in weathered exposures will even have bits of the root still in them but some are obviously not from roots.

Am not entirely sure what you have @dsludden, however, I do agree with the others. I can add, from searching the beaches around Cherry Point back when my Dad was stationed there, I would often find bits of metal which were heavily altered. Was also able to find many modern bones plus shark teeth, especially on the Neuse beaches near the golf course.

Edited by CBchiefski
Typo

CBchiefski thank you for commenting. I hope the post about Cherry Point brought back great memories. The area is still producing magnificent finds. I just don’t get out there enough.