Pterosaur tooth?

fossil_sea_urchin

I saw this tooth as pterosaur from Niger, but some possible wear on it makes it look like sauropod. 

Please help ID ,thanks in advance.

Screenshot 2019-02-05 at 20.28.12.png

Do you have a picture of the bottom? It looks more like fish to me. 

Also, there are multiple Cretaceous formations in Niger, where is this one from? Size would be helpfull too.

• I found this Informative 1

3 minutes ago, gigantoraptor said:

Do you have a picture of the bottom? It looks more like fish to me. 

Also, there are multiple Cretaceous formations in Niger, where is this one from? Size would be helpfull too.

Sorry no picture of the base, but size is 1.3 inches.

Just now, fossil_sea_urchin said:

Sorry no picture of the base, but size is 1.3 inches.

I don''t know in what formation this tooth was found, but there are at least two pterosaurs present in Niger. I don't know of any described species but in the Elrhaz formation there is an Undescribed Ornithocheirid and one (possibly two) undescribed Azhdarchids. The last don't have teeth so if this is a pterosaur teeth (I don't know if it is with these pictures alone) it will probably belong to an Ornithocheirid. 

• I found this Informative 2

Just now, gigantoraptor said:

I don''t know in what formation this tooth was found, but there are at least two pterosaurs present in Niger. I don't know of any described species but in the Elrhaz formation there is an Undescribed Ornithocheirid and one (possibly two) undescribed Azhdarchids. The last don't have teeth so if this is a pterosaur teeth (I don't know if it is with these pictures alone) it will probably belong to an Ornithocheirid. 

Sorry to ask but I know very little about Niger formations. Is Elrhaz aquatic. 

14 minutes ago, fossil_sea_urchin said:

Sorry to ask but I know very little about Niger formations. Is Elrhaz aquatic. 

Quite similar to the Kem Kem compound assemblage.  Probably a delta or something. There are turtles, fishes, crocodiles (e.g Sarchosuchus and Araripesuchus), Dinosaurs ( like Cristatusaurus), pterosaurs... Very similar to the Kem Kem Beds but older (Albian-aptian).

• I found this Informative 3

I have some in my collection, also ornithocheirid, both different in shape, one rounder the other ovaler, so it is possible but I dare not confirm with certainty that yours is one. Maybe the pics will help...

SAM_1782.JPG

SAM_1814.JPG

• I found this Informative 4

13 hours ago, Haravex said:

I would be very careful this is not a kem kem formation tooth.

Yes, it does look very similar to kem kem. What are the differences?

1 hour ago, fossil_sea_urchin said:

Yes, it does look very similar to kem kem. What are the differences?

The Kem Kem Compound assemblage is divided in three formations (Ifezouane, Aoufous and Akrabou formation). The Elrhaz formation is just one formation. 

The Kem Kem formations are Cenomanian (100,5-93,9myo) while the Elrhaz formation is Aptian-Albian (125,0-100,5 myo). The Kem Kem beds are in Morocco and the Elrhaz formation is in Niger.

In fauna the differences are not that big. The species are not always the same but both contain, Spinosaurids, Abelisaurids, Carcharodontosaurids, Crocodyliformes...

In general I have the feeling Elrhaz fossils are a bit darker in colour. 

I think it's possible that's it from the Elrhaz formation because I never saw an Ornithocheirid tooth from the Kem Kem beds with this shape, althought it could be because of the bad preservation. More pictures could help but I am not sure.

• I found this Informative 2

Color seems ok for Erlhaz material - I’ve seen some lighter specimens out of there. Also seller is fairly reputable, so I would trust them with the locality information (although never trust species IDs by the dealer, they often make mistakes, especially with reptile material). However, this tooth is significantly overpriced, so I would advise you to wait until cheaper specimens show up on the internet - Erlhaz material is not that rare.

As as for the ID, it has the general shape of a pterosaur tooth but the presence of carinae looks weird, Ornitocheirids usually don’t have them. Can you ask the seller for more pics?

The Tooth Fairy