Rowboater

Have been trying to find shrimp coprolites at several beach sites.  After a few good outings, have been coming up empty.  Was looking forward to getting to a beach after our latest (unexpected) snow with a week of warm weather ahead.  Of course the low tide is small this week and both am and pm are in the dark.  And the wind which was predicted to be from the west (blow-out tide) was from the east (our low tide this morning was actually higher than high last week's full moon).  

So arrived early, tide coming in fast but no breeze and no "wash" along the beach.  I found a mako and the partial winged fish(?) vert immediately but fairly soon could not reach the shell edge in my boots.  Several walks up and down the beach water line yielded a few small teeth.  There was a huge amount of stuff-- leaves, small black pieces of wood, lots of mostly oyster shells; visual overload!-- in tide lines deposited along the beach.  I gave up on the wash and wandered around picking up some small pieces of whale bone, and discarding lots of rusted metal, and rock-like chunks with scallop impressions.  I noticed something leaning against a bush far up on the beach (actually guessing skate plate) and found my 'best' megalodon tooth this year, split in two and tipped but about 3" (I had heard there were no megs on this beach from several friends, but I've found several pieces; maybe they meant no "whole megs".  The oyster tongers and scallop dredgers get them, possibly that's why my tooth was broken cleanly in two.)  Serrations are there but a bit worn.  Not much, but still fun.  The two makos are pretty but small, the others are small and worn.  

Given conditions  I was very happy with the hunt, better than my last few outings.

020619.thumb.jpg.8dfd87b011e26e030d1520094acd22fa.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Nice little mako there. Pretty cool meg as well, albeit the damage.

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

The days are getting longer, and the weather is bound to improve. 

More trips in your future, more finds as well. 
Thanks for posting. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me