Mixing Paraloid

LiamL

JohnBrewer kindly sent me some paraloid, i've gone out and bought some 98% acetone and a glass jar.

How much Paraloid should i put into a small coffee jar?

Thanks

• I found this Informative 1

Yorkshire Coast Fossil Hunter

it depends on the use and your liking.

I made a few different jars, whith different mixtures.

best is to put some acetone in the jar and then add a little bit of paraloid, let it disolve and test it with a brush. It can take more than a day to disolve the paraloid.

you can't do much wrong, you can always add more paraloid or acetone to the mixture.

• I found this Informative 2

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

10 minutes ago, Manticocerasman said:

it depends on the use and your liking.

I made a few different jars, whith different mixtures.

best is to put some acetone in the jar and then add a little bit of paraloid, let it disolve and test it with a brush. It can take more than a day to disolve the paraloid.

you can't do much wrong, you can always add more paraloid or acetone to the mixture.

Thanks, how long does it normally take to dissolve and should i leave the jar lid on or off while it's dissolving?

8 minutes ago, LiamL said:

Thanks, how long does it normally take to dissolve and should i leave the jar lid on or off while it's dissolving?

Definitely leave the lid on, or the acetone will evaporate quickly. The time will depend on the concentration and how often you shake/stir it. If it's rather thick (20-50%), then it may take several days. 5-10% may only take a few hours.

"Don't force it, just use a bigger hammer"

12 minutes ago, LiamL said:

Indeed always leave the lid on or your acetone is gone. and be careful with the fumes of the acetone while using it.

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Thanks guys! I'm hoping it'll be able to help hold together a fossil that is very crumbly.

I'll test it on a bad piece before using it on any good specimins.

2 hours ago, LiamL said:

Thanks guys! I'm hoping it'll be able to help hold together a fossil that is very crumbly.

I'll test it on a bad piece before using it on any good specimins.

You probably want a 5 or 10% solution for that, i.e. 5 or 10gms paraloid in 100ml of acetone.

(A coffee jar might not be very air tight - it evaporates very quickly (and a plastic lid might be softened by it, depending on the plastic). 

Tarquin