Buying The Right Consolidation Materials

jdiaz55

I am going to feel bad if there is already a post with as much information as I am looking for, but I can't seem to find one. Essentially, I am having a hard time finding the proper consolidation materials. I have never prepped before, and I am going to be starting my first project this weekend. That being said, the extent of my knowledge of sealants comes from research on this forum. I am looking for the right materials to use (with or without acetone dilute) to keep my fossils from being damaged while working on some Moroccan matrix. I'm not finding anywhere reliable to purchase PVA B-15, Butvar, or anything of the sort.

Is there a more easily accessible material I can work with? I need very little at this point in time, and not necessarily something expensive or overly high-quality as the items I will be working with are small and cheap.

What are other alternatives that people use, and what are the benefits of each of them?

I am eager to know all there is to know, and I've been slowly going down the list of each of the topics in this thread hoping to find what I'm looking for!

Check out this long exchange which may be of assistance. I recall you were considering working on Moroccan teeth. Consolidation may or may not be an issue with that type of fossil. For example, a Mosasaur tooth in the typical granular matrix probably will not be in need of a consolidant. The matrix, however might benefit strictly in a housekeeping way - avoidance of continuously dropping sandy bits. Have fun.

• I found this Informative 1

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Talasonline sells several consolidants including Paraloid B 72 and Butvar B 76: https://www.talasonline.com/paints-and-finishes/resins

• I found this Informative 2

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

PVA B-15 is not being produced so it will be hard to find. 

Paraloid B72 is readily available online. A simple Google search for “buy Paraloid B72” yields multiple sources.

• I found this Informative 1