Strange Markings on Rock?

Zenmaster6

At Titlow Beach Washington state (Eocene) I found this weird pattern. probably just minerals or something strange but I still wanted to be sure.

It came from under a rock we chipped the top off.

51436177_1960668964227934_1216155350328147968_n.thumb.jpg.82c4beccabac2d39078615077a4d5cd3.jpg

Those holes look really round. It looks like that it may be concrete/cement/plaster that hardened against some plastic or material. The wrinkles may also be where the material flowed or wrinkled before it hardened.

Show own us a photo of the whole thing.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

If the marks corresponded more closely with the holes I would be in the feeding trace camp. The randomness spells tool markings (in the geological usage) to me though. Objects being thrashed by waves being the cause.

This one looks like a tube worm.

tube.jpg.4134e68c41e384d6253acd4c1cd29ece.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

1 hour ago, abyssunder said:

Studying it's placement does seem to indicate that the two surfaces were roughly contemporaneous and perhaps a rich enough organic deposit to have this much chaotic feeding going on. 

5 hours ago, abyssunder said:

tube.jpg.4134e68c41e384d6253acd4c1cd29ece.jpg

I wish I could give you x5 I found this informative. That was quite the eye you had there. Awesome observation. 

1 hour ago, Zenmaster6 said:

I wish I could give you x5 I found this informative. That was quite the eye you had there. Awesome observation. 

I gave him one for his brain. Mine was so focused on the traces it wouldn't let me look for something like that.

• I found this Informative 1

20 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

I gave him one for his brain. Mine was so focused on the traces it wouldn't let me look for something like that.

:hearty-laugh:

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

There are a lot of traces, nicely aligned borings perpendicular to the surface, and possibly grazing traces parallel to / on the surface.

Thomas Mann

My Library

2 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

There are a lot of traces, nicely aligned borings perpendicular to the surface, and possibly grazing traces parallel to / on the surface.

That is what I see in this piece.

@Zenmaster6

Would like to see more pictures of the whole rock and some close ups.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Unfortunately this was a boulder and 25 miles away from my house. If I ever go back I will upload the photo here

6 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Studying it's placement does seem to indicate that the two surfaces were roughly contemporaneous and perhaps a rich enough organic deposit to have this much chaotic feeding going on. 

You might be correct, Dale. :)
I would call this competition (of chiton, worm, sponge, echinoid, etc.) and successive colonization of the hard substrate in bioerosion.

Thomas Mann

My Library

Yes another interesting picture!  Would love to see some more photos if you ever get the chance to go back. I agree with the others there are some really neat traces and am wondering since we already were discussing barnacles in the other post if there is some similar evidence of them being in this photo as well. What's the scale of your picture?

Here are some additional examples of an approximately 5cm wide barnacle and a picture of its base and a closeup comparison of your photo and of another larger barnacle section that seem to have similar textures/structures. 5c5cc044b4702_PlioPleistoceneBarnaclecluster.thumb.jpg.87b7de26ee9053c436326265292b42c9.jpg5c5cc043b2b8b_PlioPleistoceneBarnacleclusterbasewithwormtraces.thumb.jpg.ea1c70cabea549e165dd520ae95998aa.jpg

5c5cc3a075b16_Tracecomparisontobarnacleplategrooves.thumb.jpg.d5790434dacf301051ba8dd304b05bd8.jpg

Cool stuff. 

Regards, Chris