Tooth from Morocco- what is it?

aplomado

Saw this for sale- ID as unknown dinosaur from Morocco.

It is 0.7" long.

Anyone know what this might be?

tooth.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Which location from Morocco to be more specific?

Life started in the ocean. And so did my interest in fossils;).

Do you have more pictures of the tooth? Especially the base of the tooth would be helpfull. 

Seeing the colour I think it's from the Cenomanian Kem Kem Compound assamblage. If it is dinosaur it's from an Spinosaurid. There are two (Spinosaurus aegyptiacus and Sigilmassasaurus brevicollis). I also could be a Ornithocheirid tooth (here the picture of the base would be helpfull). Also, there are two (Siroccopteryx moroccensis and

Coloborhynchus fluviferox). 

However, for both kinds I never saw a tooth with this many vertical ridges. The exact location, age and more pictures would certainly help.

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, caldigger said:

If they have no idea what it belongs to, what makes them say "dinosaur"?

Maybe saying it was a Trilobite tooth sounded too unlikely. :shrug:

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

1 hour ago, caldigger said:

If they have no idea what it belongs to, what makes them say "dinosaur"?

Don't know!

Some crocodile teeth from Kem Kem are very striated, I assume they can be attributed to Aegisichus or Laganosuchus, but unfortunately not much is described about their dental morphology.

Also, matrix and color of the tooth looks kind of similar to Triassic Bull Canyon material, so if the locality is that uncertain, I would also throw in the option of a Phytosaur tooth. Could you check if there are serrations on this tooth? If they are there, then it is definitely not Kem Kem.

• I found this Informative 1

The Tooth Fairy

I agree with  Anomotodon looks more like a Crocodyliform than dinosaurian.   Ridges are not prounced as seen in Spinosaurid teeth.

Example of an Anatosuchus and Araripesuchus which show striations from Niger but similar teeth can be present in the Kem Kems fauna. 

Screenshot_20190208-153314.thumb.jpg.0c2b3acc8fe98ba0558d369cdb7f405f.jpgScreenshot_20190208-153953.jpg.0f078a6288c0ee13d29d73515046dff1.jpg