A few questions on abelisaurids and majungasaurus crenatissimus

Pterygotus

Hello everyone. Recently, my my friend told me that abelisaurids aren’t determinable by their teeth. Is this true? Also, recently is saw some majungasaurus crenatissimus 3/4” teeth for sale. Does anyone know the rarity of these? And also, is magungotholus the same as majungasaurus? Thank you.

• I found this Informative 1

Abelisaurid teeth are like other dinosaur teeth. It's not easy to determine the species or genus from loose teeth if there are plurial genera within the same family in the same area or formation. In the Kem Kem beds the Abelisaurids are not determinable because none are described and there seem to be at least two present. 

Do you know the formation of the M. crenatissimus tooth? Majungasaurus is from the Maevarano formation and as far as I know it's the only Abelisaurid in that formation.

Majungatholus (1979) is the junior synonym of Majungasaurus and thus invalid. Majungatholus was first thought to be a pachycephalosaurid.

• I found this Informative 7

2 minutes ago, gigantoraptor said:

Abelisaurid teeth are like other dinosaur teeth. It's not easy to determine the species or genus from loose teeth if there are plurial genera within the same family in the same area or formation. In the Kem Kem beds the Abelisaurids are not determinable because none are described and there seem to be at least two present. 

Do you know the formation of the M. crenatissimus tooth? Majungasaurus is from the Maevarano formation and as far as I know it's the only Abelisaurid in that formation.

Majungatholus (1979) is the junior synonym of Majungasaurus and thus invalid. Majungatholus was first thought to be a pachycephalosaurid.

It doesn’t say which formation but says it’s from Madagascar 

• I found this Informative 1

18 minutes ago, Pterygotus said:

It doesn’t say which formation but says it’s from Madagascar 

Then I would stay away from it. There a multiple formations in Madagascar and Abelisaurid remains have been found in both Jurassic and Cretaceous formations. 

• I found this Informative 4

Abelisaurid teeth typically have the distal edge perpendicular to the base.  This is one characteristics that distinguishes them from other teeth and make them easy to identify in Kem Kem deposits or in Madagascar.   

• I found this Informative 4