French Sand Dollars

Shellseeker

Recently I purchased France sand dollars from @Coco.  See this thread http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/92032-diverse-french-fossils-to-be-sold/

The 5 Parascutella_producta arrived Tuesday safe and sound with well designed packaging.  One was a double and Coco added a sixth that she had polished on her club's water based buffing machine. In addition,  a bonus of a little sea urchin Arbacina monilis was unexpected.  I was greatly pleased for an excellent transaction.

IMG_4851.thumb.jpg.ece34fbecc999eb8341abeede778a892.jpg

Polished Parascutella_producta

5c5c970c5dbeb_ParascutellaproductaFrancePolished.JPG.4edcb3451f05c738777fd5244999fa9d.JPG

Arbacina monilis

IMG_4862.thumb.jpg.99eb2eb8a05a5ecf3f38e84a22a4d365.jpg

Now I must figure out how to remove the sand-limestone like Coco did. I have a friend who has a vast collection of echinoderms and asked for advice.  He uses no mechanical device beyond water and a knife and he has cleaned thousands of fossils, which he shows off at Fossil Club shows. It seems that there is only a light covering of sand_limestone so I will try his method on one of my 5.  In Process.

IMG_4871.thumb.jpg.79b7e1f7f1d8c2be45592a1e8ffa9c69.jpg

I also have a dremel and a compressor-air blaster which I have never used. Maybe I will get to them.

My thanks to Coco,  for beautiful new additions to my collection. I'll put the one she polished in a riker box and see if I can match the beauty on one of the others.

Jack

• I found this Informative 3

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I agree with Adam, the polished one looks fantastic.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Hi,

They have been found in a layer of sand, which is exceptional because they are usually crusted and can't be prepared so finely as these. Here the quality is incomparable.

I’m glad you like them Shellseeker !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Cool additions Jack! Good luck in the prep. The vulcan Rhyncholampus echys I've had moderate success with using just a knife and a brass wire brush to get the worst of the stuff off...some bits however are very stubborn. Wish you had some pieces you could experiment on...looks like too nice of material to goof around with....

Regards, Chris 

Hi,

Little sea urchin from Noyant-la-Plaine is Arbacina monilis.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg