Vaniman Abrasive Blaster Review

Ptychodus04

58 minutes ago, RJB said:

Believe me, I didnt start with one this size when I got my first compressor. 

RB

Me either, and I'm happy with my current compressor, but man that sure is nice!!! :D

57 minutes ago, Haravex said:

Glad to see this is working well for you, wish the same could be said for mine.

You're unit is still giving you grief? I thought the replacement of the tank cleared up the clogging issues you were having. I wonder how the Sandstorm compares to the Problast in a side by side.

New tank, new pen, new tips. Tried different types of abrasive media have so many flow issues I can't even put into words anymore how frustrating and exhausting this has become.

22 minutes ago, Haravex said:

New tank, new pen, new tips. Tried different types of abrasive media have so many flow issues I can't even put into words anymore how frustrating and exhausting this has become.

Next step is to make sure you have a good, functioning air drying unit. Are you using abrasive media made for air abrasive machines, or are you buying them at someplace like a pottery supply store.

• I found this Informative 1

Fun topic.  Its is good indeed to see a review of the Vaniman.  We (at work) got a few units that look similar to this from a company called The Prep Lab many years ago.  The company is no longer around, but the units do not work with regular bicarb so I had to go out and get fine bicarb.  Does the Vaniman work with plain ole bicarb?  Or are you using fine grain?  

I agree with the comments on the pancake compressor.  I rented one once when my stand-up unit died and it ran all the time trying to keep up withme.  Air compressors are not meant to run all the time; they need their cool down preiod.    

@steelhead9 I have a sealey air line filter and air desiccant filter. The powder I get from amazon if it is bi-carb and the dolomite I get from a forum member here as I cant find a source in the uk

19 minutes ago, Haravex said:

@steelhead9 I have a sealey air line filter and air desiccant filter. The powder I get from amazon if it is bi-carb and the dolomite I get from a forum member here as I cant find a source in the uk

Matt, are your abrasive micron sizes matched to your tip and canister micron rating? I believe you can have clogging issues if you operate with abrasives too far on either side of the rated size.

Your problem also might be your abrasive itself. If it has absorbed water from the air during storage, it could be clumping regardless of how clean and dry your compressed air is. Do you store it in a sealed container?

1 hour ago, jpc said:

Fun topic.  Its is good indeed to see a review of the Vaniman.  We (at work) got a few units that look similar to this from a company called The Prep Lab many years ago.  The company is no longer around, but the units do not work with regular bicarb so I had to go out and get fine bicarb.  Does the Vaniman work with plain ole bicarb?  Or are you using fine grain? 

I'm using plain old Arm & Hammer baking soda. I purchased a canister and tips that are designed for 50-100 micron abrasive. Food grade bicarb is around 60-75 micron so it shouldn't have an issue.

3 hours ago, Haravex said:

I have a sealey air line filter and air desiccant filter. The powder I get from amazon if it is bi-carb and the dolomite I get from a forum member here as I cant find a source in the uk

Im thinkin that Kris may be on to something here.   You may have a 'caking/clumping issue'.    I myself dont even bother to use my unit in the winter time just for this single reason.  I too have water traps and a big condesent canister and still, there is no way in h-ell that I can use it when its cold.  I dont know if this is your problem, but its something to look at?  I do also wish you the very best of luck. 

RB

9 minutes ago, RJB said:

Im thinkin that Kris may be on to something here.   You may have a 'caking/clumping issue'.    I myself dont even bother to use my unit in the winter time just for this single reason.  I too have water traps and a big condesent canister and still, there is no way in h-ell that I can use it when its cold.  I dont know if this is your problem, but its something to look at?  I do also wish you the very best of luck. 

RB

Thankfully, I don’t have to deal with the winter temps that you do. My coldest temps in the shop are still above freezing even at our coldest normal temps.

46 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Thankfully, I don’t have to deal with the winter temps that you do. My coldest temps in the shop are still above freezing even at our coldest normal temps.

minus -18 the other morning not counting the wind factor!!!   Burrrrrrrrrrrr!!!  

RB

On 2/11/2019 at 12:55 PM, Haravex said:

You might consider buying a 50 or 100 micron screen (available at scientific supply companies or on online) and putting your abrasive through it. Consistency of size is important. A few grains that are too big can gum up the whole works. Is your unit itself new? Often there are issues with pinch valves or other components that require replacement. Comco sells a kit of replacement parts for refurbishment or you can send your unit back. Sending it usually takes a couple of months however. 

I have found one flaw that was easily corrected. The pressure gauge fitting developed a leak (minimal thread sealant was used in production). I simply removed the gauge and the fitting, wrapped both with Teflon tape, and reinstalled. Problem solved.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2019 at 3:09 PM, Sagebrush Steve said:

It see yours is the Mobile Problast.  Do you know what are the differences between this and the Master Mobile Problast?

Hi all,  Nathan here. Thought I'd chime in on the difference between a "Master" blasting system and a non-Master system.  The Master system basically stop media flow from the pen-nozzle immediately whereas the non-master units have a slight pressure bleed off that occurs.   These units use a foot pedal for turning on the flow of media so when you let off the foot pedal the Master units will stop blasting immediately. 

It's like having a hand nozzle connected to your back-yard water hose compared to not having it when you turn off the spigot if that makes sense.  happy to answer any other questions just PM me :)

I don’t have any issues waiting for the pressure to drop off after releasing the foot pedal. It only takes a couple of seconds and there’s not much abrasive at all that is waisted.

• I found this Informative 2

• 4 years later...

I likewise have a problast but not hooked up yet. I didn’t find the 1/4 attachment to change out but will get one . How did you hook that up to the 1/4” tubing. Any advice would be helpful 

cheers

I've now reread this thread and have an easy solution to all of our problems,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,find another hobby!  :zzzzscratchchin:

RB

• Enjoyed 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/15/2023 at 6:22 AM, RJB said:

I've now reread this thread and have an easy solution to all of our problems,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,find another hobby!  :zzzzscratchchin:

RB

:default_rofl:

Too true. My best advice for people interested in starting to prep their own fossils is to run away and never look back. It's a financial black hole of epic proportions. My next bit of advice is to find a local fossil club that has some equipment. 

• Enjoyed 1

1 hour ago, Ptychodus04 said:

:default_rofl:

Too true. My best advice for people interested in starting to prep their own fossils is to run away and never look back. 

:heartylaugh: now you guys give me this advice! Where were you 3 years and how many hundreds of dollars ago when I could have used it! Now im hooked and it's too late!:DOH::default_rofl:

• Enjoyed 1

19 hours ago, Randyw said:

:heartylaugh: now you guys give me this advice! Where were you 3 years and how many hundreds of dollars ago when I could have used it! Now im hooked and it's too late!:DOH::default_rofl:

We just don't like you enough to warn you. :P

• Enjoyed 1

• 3 weeks later...

What abrasive are you using?  . I’m cleaning some crinoid plates and using aluminum oxide . Some of the matrix is a bit resistant 

7 hours ago, Docweldon said:

What abrasive are you using?  . I’m cleaning some crinoid plates and using aluminum oxide . Some of the matrix is a bit resistant 

I've been using dolomite that I sift myself with my Vaniman, it gives great result but probably quite a bit softer than the aluminum oxide.