Carboniferous fossil from Lincoln County WV

ethnfreeman

This was found in Hamlin wV in a layer of sandstone approx 614 ft above see level it looks to be calamite but the needles or whatever you call them around the stem seem to close together. Theres a pop bottle cap up top for reference to size or whatever u call it Soda bottle cap in your area of the country. This came from my back yard theres a rock outcrop at the base of this hill and every square inch of this rock is smashed plant material like it was a leading edge of a flash flood how it carrys all the plants trees and trash that it picks up in that thick slurry cause 10 ft up and 20ft over theres nothing but mud notice that hollow stem there on the right

20190202_232313.jpg

Interesting specimen. I thought I had replied to this yesterday but apparently I didnt submit the reply so I'll try again-sorry.

I'm not sure what you have there. I'm wondering if you can provide a couple other views of the overall rock and perhaps from the sides. Right now I cant tell if that is a burrowing/feeding trace or as you explained some plant remains....or maybe a combination of both. 

Can you show some of the plant debris in the other rocks from your backyard?  

Regards, Chris 

On 2/9/2019 at 7:45 AM, Plantguy said:

Interesting specimen. I thought I had replied to this yesterday but apparently I didnt submit the reply so I'll try again-sorry.

I'm not sure what you have there. I'm wondering if you can provide a couple other views of the overall rock and perhaps from the sides. Right now I cant tell if that is a burrowing/feeding trace or as you explained some plant remains....or maybe a combination of both. 

Can you show some of the plant debris in the other rocks from your backyard?  

Regards, Chris 

I'll send u some specimens and feel free to come over and look for yourself it's kinda hard looking at photos but I can't help but feel like I'm destroying an awesome site I have kept every stone that has come from there just in case 

12 hours ago, ethnfreeman said:

Yea I can post some more

I don't doubt the plant fossils in the newly posted pieces, but you sort of lost ground on the original post in my view. It looks more like weathering of some fractured strata with perhaps a pocket where some plant material weathered out.

1 minute ago, Rockwood said:

I don't doubt the plant fossils in the newly posted pieces, but you sort of lost ground on the original post in my view. It looks more like weathering of some fractured strata with perhaps a pocket where some plant material weathered out.

The problem is i havent prepared it all the matrix blends in together got take out a thin all around the fossil to get any contrast

1 hour ago, ethnfreeman said:

take out a thin

Follow a thin crack ?

I realize it looks different in person. Be careful not to cross the line between preparation and creation though.

Sent you a pm or two. Still trying to find a local resource/expert to look at the rocks and identify formation name from local maps..trying to determine if its within the Conemaugh or Allegheny series. 

Regards, Chris