fishguy

Are there any beaches in Clear water that you can find shark teeth?

fishguy

Heading to Clear Water for a few days. Just checking to see if there are any beaches that you can find sharks teeth on. Or any place not to far I can find any kind of fossils.

digit

Haven't been fossil hunting up in the Clearwater, FL area (west of Tampa) and so I can't help you much with anything that local. Caspersen Beach down the coast in Venice, FL is known for shark teeth (though the ones that are found in the shell hash in the surf zone tend to be a bit tumbled). I've had luck in past years snorkeling in shallow water along the beaches off various parks in the Venice area. Jeff @jcbshark is in the area and might possibly have some thoughts for shark tooth beaches.

Cheers.

-Ken

P.S.: You should have been down last week when the temperature difference between South Florida and the Midwest spanned 100 degrees. :blink::)

jcbshark

They're occasionally found up that way on the beaches but down here by Venice is far better from what I've seen. Good luck-:) I have found some good stuff just this side of the Skyway at some construction sites just off 75

fishguy

Thanks for the input.  

On 2/8/2019 at 1:25 PM, digit said:

Haven't been fossil hunting up in the Clearwater, FL area (west of Tampa) and so I can't help you much with anything that local. Caspersen Beach down the coast in Venice, FL is known for shark teeth (though the ones that are found in the shell hash in the surf zone tend to be a bit tumbled). I've had luck in past years snorkeling in shallow water along the beaches off various parks in the Venice area. Jeff @jcbshark is in the area and might possibly have some thoughts for shark tooth beaches.

Cheers.

-Ken

P.S.: You should have been down last week when the temperature difference between South Florida and the Midwest spanned 100 degrees. :blink::)

Anytime I can get away from the cold and snow it will be a good time.:D

digit

The mild temps (82F and partly cloudy with a light breeze) during this time of the year are almost enough to make you forget when you feel like the headpin in a bowling lane with a Cat 4 hurricane barreling in like a well bowled ball. ;)

Now if we could just get the rains to stop and have our dry season back again, we'd be able to get into the South Florida rivers and creeks and post fossils to make all your northerners jealous. :)

Cheers.

-Ken

Cam28

I haven't tried Clearwater, but at nearby sand key beach there are mostly very small infrequent fossil shark teeth. Fossil hunting in sand key & across the bay at apollo beach are technically possible, but during the absolute best days there I tend to find 5-7 average/sub-average teeth in a single trip (& I have a good eye, am in my mid 20s and have been a fossil hunter for 5 years)

Highly recommend getting a sand flea rake and trying out caspersen/ manasota key/ maybe Venice beach, or the Peace River if it's low enough. All are fairly far from Clearwater but pretty much guarantee fossil shark teeth, unlike fossil hunting in Hillsborough & Pinellas counties