Oreodont skull found and prepped out

Xiphactinus

On my wife and my epic fossil trip this fall we spent a day in Nebraska in the White River badlands. Found some of the normal stuff...nothing spectacular but neat for us as we had this as a "bucket list" locality.

One of our best finds was an oreodont skull. I found the nose at the bottom of a gully, and worked my way up until I found the outline of the broken bone. I dug out a volleyball-size chunk of rock and brought it home. Just finished prepping it out. It needs some reconstruction of areas around the snout that were weathered away, but all in all I am pleased with how it came out.

At camp with a little rough prep to see what we had.

prep 1.JPG

Top view while at camp. Packed it away at this point.

prep2.JPG

Underside after reattaching the muzzle.

prep3.JPG

prep4.JPG

prep5.JPG

prep6.JPG

Edited by Xiphactinus
add photo captions.
  • I found this Informative 15

16 minutes ago, LiamL said:

Love it! Good prep and fantastic find. How rare are these to find there?

Thanks for the kind words. They are pretty common. You more often find bits and pieces, but complete skulls aren't rare. But for me, it's my one and only!

• I found this Informative 3

Nice find and even better prep!:dinothumb:

• I found this Informative 1

"The baneful Dragons, O Seas, are gone: Fiends, 0 Earth, have filled thee with the bones of Defeat and Death."

Very cool. 

Nice work, X-man. These skulls are really interesting looking to me. 

You got a pretty nice one, at least. :)

Thanks for showing us.

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Nice find!

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

Very cool find and nice work. Looks good.

have you ever used Apoxie Sculpt? It is so easy to work with. It comes in different colors.

FA01994C-B00D-4F2D-BB85-F31ED252DD00.thumb.jpeg.5361e37bfac05dd2090c81cb38ccaebf.jpeg

Do you have to get permission to hunt the Nebraska badlands?  Just wondering should I plan a trip westwards someday :) 

3 hours ago, KimTexan said:

Very cool find and nice work. Looks good.

have you ever used Apoxie Sculpt? It is so easy to work with. It comes in different colors.

FA01994C-B00D-4F2D-BB85-F31ED252DD00.thumb.jpeg.5361e37bfac05dd2090c81cb38ccaebf.jpeg

That’s what I plan on using! Good stuff. 

1 hour ago, Al Tahan said:

Do you have to get permission to hunt the Nebraska badlands?  Just wondering should I plan a trip westwards someday :) 

Yes, you have to hunt on private property with permission. There are some ranches in the area where you can pay a daily fee to collect.