Strange Rock

Saturated-Sam

I was wondering what this was? I believe it may be a concretion but I am unsure, and may be misidentifying it. 

8920C737-EFD6-4613-BC5D-F2CF282DEBC4.jpeg

Welcome to the forum. Can you please also show us top and bottom views? It doesn't appear to have the typical concentric layering one would expect from a concretion, which is why I'm thinking that this may be a chunk of layered mudstone. Did you dig this directly out of an exposure or find it lying somewhere? It would also help if you could tell us where it was found and what the local stratigraphy is if possible.

• I found this Informative 2

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Welcome to the forum! :)

I'm in the geological camp.

It looks like a sedimentary rock with an outer thin coat having the same color like the crack infills. It reminds me of marble, although that is typically not foliated, but it could be dolostone. I can't see any fossils there, I'm afraid.

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

How hard is it? Can you easily scratch it with a nail?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

1 hour ago, Ludwigia said:

Welcome to the forum. Can you please also show us top and bottom views? It doesn't appear to have the typical concentric layering one would expect from a concretion, which is why I'm thinking that this may be a chunk of layered mudstone. Did you dig this directly out of an exposure or find it lying somewhere? It would also help if you could tell us where it was found and what the local stratigraphy is if possible.

I found it have half submerged in a thick layer of soil, it was near a small valley. This picture also includes the other fragments of it, the original photo only showed the main segment.

6DEBCCD4-324B-449D-905E-0EB836C8F599.jpeg

Edited by Saturated-Sam

17 hours ago, ynot said:

Agree with a non fossil sedimentary rock. Probably dolomite, but could be limestone.

I thought that dolomite was more grainy than layered?

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/