Saturated-Sam

Strange Rock

Saturated-Sam

I was wondering what this was? I believe it may be a concretion but I am unsure, and may be misidentifying it. 

8920C737-EFD6-4613-BC5D-F2CF282DEBC4.jpeg

Darktooth

I agree, it's a concretion.

Ludwigia

Welcome to the forum. Can you please also show us top and bottom views? It doesn't appear to have the typical concentric layering one would expect from a concretion, which is why I'm thinking that this may be a chunk of layered mudstone. Did you dig this directly out of an exposure or find it lying somewhere? It would also help if you could tell us where it was found and what the local stratigraphy is if possible.

abyssunder

Welcome to the forum! :)

I'm in the geological camp.

It looks like a sedimentary rock with an outer thin coat having the same color like the crack infills. It reminds me of marble, although that is typically not foliated, but it could be dolostone. I can't see any fossils there, I'm afraid.

Auspex

How hard is it? Can you easily scratch it with a nail?

Saturated-Sam
1 hour ago, Ludwigia said:

Welcome to the forum. Can you please also show us top and bottom views? It doesn't appear to have the typical concentric layering one would expect from a concretion, which is why I'm thinking that this may be a chunk of layered mudstone. Did you dig this directly out of an exposure or find it lying somewhere? It would also help if you could tell us where it was found and what the local stratigraphy is if possible.

I found it have half submerged in a thick layer of soil, it was near a small valley. This picture also includes the other fragments of it, the original photo only showed the main segment.

6DEBCCD4-324B-449D-905E-0EB836C8F599.jpeg

Edited by Saturated-Sam

Ludwigia

I'll stick with my sedimentary stone theory. Not a proper concretion in my opinion.

ynot

Agree with a non fossil sedimentary rock. Probably dolomite, but could be limestone.

Ludwigia
17 hours ago, ynot said:

Agree with a non fossil sedimentary rock. Probably dolomite, but could be limestone.

I thought that dolomite was more grainy than layered?