Tucson 2019 Pictures

HamptonsDoc

18 hours ago, Beau'n Collector said:

I'm currently in Tucson for the show. Which show/location is this display at? I'd love to visit it before I leave on Sunday.

I think it was the showcase tent on 22nd street

The Tooth Fairy

The person with the Stego material was selling around 5 individuals from the same quarry,  unheard of to find more than 1.   He has a nearby Sauropod quarry and shared this tooth from that dig.   No its not a Camarasaurus tooth but something undescribed.   The arrowhead shape is unknown from the Morisson and more typical of what you see in European sauropods like Zby atlanticus from Portugal or other Turiasaurian sauropods of Spain.  Tried but tooth is NFS

20190210_131810.thumb.jpg.74b5fb61f93b53e2c8b359798615d675.jpg

20190210_131820.jpg

• I found this Informative 7

11 minutes ago, Troodon said:

He has a nearby Sauropod quarry and shared this tooth from that dig.   No its not a Camarasaurus tooth but something undescribed.

This was a beautiful tooth, I definitely drooled over it for a good ten minutes!  Thanks for posting a picture of it.

10 minutes ago, Troodon said:

The person with the Stego material was selling around 5 individuals from the same quarry,  unheard of to find more than 1.   He has a nearby Sauropod quarry and shared this tooth from that dig.   No its not a Camarasaurus tooth but something undescribed.   The arrowhead shape is unknown from the Morisson and more typical of what you see in European sauropods like Zby atlanticus from Portugal or other Turiasaurian sauropods of Spain.  Tried but tooth is NFS

20190210_131820.jpg

Very interesting. I see the  Turiasaurian like resemblance you mentioned. Would make sense if the Morison, Lourinhã, and Tendagura Beds share the same fauna. Makes me wonder why turiasaurian teeth appear common in Portugal but relatively unheard of in Morrison.

3 minutes ago, Runner64 said:

Very interesting. I see the  Turiasaurian like resemblance you mentioned. Would make sense if the Morison, Lourinhã, and Tendagura Beds share the same fauna. Makes me wonder why turiasaurian teeth appear common in Portugal but relatively unheard of in Morrison.

The faunas are closely related but there are differences.   I shared my knowledge about the European teeth with the person selling the Stegos and he was clueless about them and very happy to hear about it.

21 minutes ago, Troodon said:

The person with the Stego material was selling around 5 individuals from the same quarry,  unheard of to find more than 1.   He has a nearby Sauropod quarry and shared this tooth from that dig.   No its not a Camarasaurus tooth but something undescribed.   The arrowhead shape is unknown from the Morisson and more typical of what you see in European sauropods like Zby atlanticus from Portugal or other Turiasaurian sauropods of Spain.  

Nice to see you back, Frank.:)

Loved your Tucson posts last year. 

(loved the thread this year too!) 

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

14 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Nice to see you back, Frank.:)

Loved your Tucson posts last year. 

(loved the thread this year too!) 

Thank you

46 minutes ago, Troodon said:

20190210_131820.jpg

That tooth is stunning and very unique.

I like others would love to see other images of super fossils you came across at Tucson whenever you get time to post :)

25 minutes ago, paulyb135 said:

That tooth is stunning and very unique.

I like others would love to see other images of super fossils you came across at Tucson whenever you get time to post :)

Already posted a few under my jurassic park - bones and more under pachy that I purchased but HamptonDoc did a great job capturing the good stuff

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/86758-my-jurassic-park-troodon-consolidated/

1 minute ago, Haravex said:

Did the seller with the stegosaurus fossils have any individual teeth by chance?

No he was not parting with individual pieces it was all or nothing.

Oh well I'll keep hoping and looking, at this rate higher chance of me finding a stegosauird tooth from Morocco :hearty-laugh:

Also nice to have you back troodon ;)

On 2/15/2019 at 12:27 PM, Runner64 said:

Makes me wonder why turiasaurian teeth appear common in Portugal but relatively unheard of in Morrison.

It's a long walk from Portugal. :P

17 minutes ago, caldigger said:

It's a long walk from Portugal. :P

Not during the Jurassic they were next to each other still a hike 

Wow....simply WOW! Thanks for sharing those pics. Appreciation has to be high. All the hard work, the labour and the dedication that has gone into finding, prepping and in some cases mounting these great finds to bring them to the public to gaze upon in such a high order of presentation, is so much appreciated. Thank you.

The quality and quantity of fossils is simply amazing. Hope to be able to go someday myself, even without buying anything! Thanks for posting. Definitely cheeper than driving there myself.

At at the last Dallas Paleo Society meeting on February 13 Roger Farish, longtime DPS member and former president of the Society, talked a bit about what he saw at Tucson this year. While he was at the show it was brought to his attention that there was a very nearly complete Ptychodus shark skeleton hanging on one of the walls, and I believe he said it was above a doorway(?). He said that the society is involved in helping with trying to get it into an appropriate institution. 

I may have missed something, but while looking through this thread I didn't see any pictures of it. Just wondering if anyone has some pictures of it to share. He didn’t say what species of Ptychodus it is, but maybe some pictures of the teeth could tell. 

3 hours ago, Heteromorph said:

it was brought to his attention that there was a very nearly complete Ptychodus shark skeleton hanging on one of the walls

I wasn't able to attend the show last year but I did hear there was a large shark display.  It could have been there this year and I missed it.  The "show" is actually many shows spread over the city of Tucson so its entirely possible to miss a venue and not even know it!

On 2/21/2019 at 5:03 AM, Troodon said:

Not during the Jurassic they were next to each other still a hike 

Troodon,

The continents were breaking up by the Jurassic - enough that it would have been perhaps an impossibly long swim between North Africa and North America or between westernmost Europe and North America.  Island positions unknown to us with any precision now between those landmasses in the late Jurassic might have made it possible for something as large as a sauropod to make the swim in segments (or something small to raft across on storm-torn vegetation).  That would explain some rare, odd occurrences of land plants and animals in places that became increasingly separated since the break-up of Pangaea.

It's great to see your comments on the forum again.  Sometimes each of us needs a break even from a hobby.  

Jess 

25 minutes ago, siteseer said:

Troodon,

The continents were breaking up by the Jurassic - enough that it would have been perhaps an impossibly long swim between North Africa and North America or between westernmost Europe and North America.  Island positions unknown to us with any precision now between those landmasses in the late Jurassic might have made it possible for something as large as a sauropod to make the swim in segments (or something small to raft across on storm-torn vegetation).  That would explain some rare, odd occurrences of land plants and animals in places that became increasingly separated since the break-up of Pangaea.

It's great to see your comments on the forum again.  Sometimes each of us needs a break even from a hobby.  

Jess 

Thanks nice to be back.  Just started is correct .  Here is the relationship of the three areas whose fauna is very similar  and possible migration routes

Screenshot_20190222-165721.thumb.jpg.2e1f2a84f91f3ef484e7d2cba1afbeb3.jpg

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/40662981_Late_Jurassic_dinosaurs_from_the_Morrison_formation_USA_the_Lourinha_and_Alcobaca_Formations_Portugal_and_the_Tendaguru_Beds_Tanzania_a_comparison

Very cool pictures!  I almost feel like I was there.  I need to make it out to Tuscon at least once.. I've been to a lot of local gem and mineral shows but they are always light on the fossils.

• 2 weeks later...