ID for gastropod.

Zenmaster6

I cannot take anymore photos as this was not my photo but if anyone could identify these. They are around 15 - 20 million years old. Eocene period found in western washington

DSC01263.jpg

6 minutes ago, ynot said:

These look like the internal molds of the shell and will be hard to make an id.

what about the gastropod with the white. Is that not the shell?

2 hours ago, Zenmaster6 said:

what about the gastropod with the white. Is that not the shell?

It could be, and someone very familiar with the area may be able to identify it to some taxonomic level. Without a good close look at any ornament it may be limited though.

I think the gastropod is an internal mold but with a thin layer of the inner layer of shell material still stuck to it, so no external shell morphology preserved. 

• I found this Informative 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

3 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

I was watching, and I didn't see him say anything. :D

That is a pretty strange telescope You have - able to see around earth's curvature all the way to morocco and into Tidgy's house!:headscratch:

:P

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

12 minutes ago, ynot said:

That is a pretty strange telescope You have - able to see around earth's curvature all the way to morocco and into Tidgy's house!:headscratch:

It's just to the left on my screen. I am starting to worry that he sits exceptionally still.

1 minute ago, Rockwood said:

It's just to the left on my screen. I am starting to worry that he sits exceptionally still.

:hearty-laugh:

So do You!

I was hoping for an identification but instead I've been laughing all morning because of the comments I woke up to lol.

• I found this Informative 1

But I guess my question is, if I took an elephant for example and skinned it across its whole body and wrapped the skin over a rock shaped like an elephant. Could you still be able to obviously identify that it is indeed an elephant. I meant, that's kinda how people taxidermize fish.

5 hours ago, ynot said:

It's not Tidgy's house, it's my house.

Actually, I think Tidgy and wifey both think it's theirs. :shrug:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

4 hours ago, Rockwood said:

I do! 

I like to pretend to be a rock.

Practice all the time.:D

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

13 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

I do! 

I like to pretend to be a rock.

Practice all the time.:D

Method actors ! :doh!:

1 hour ago, Zenmaster6 said:

But I guess my question is, if I took an elephant for example and skinned it across its whole body and wrapped the skin over a rock shaped like an elephant. Could you still be able to obviously identify that it is indeed an elephant. I meant, that's kinda how people taxidermize fish.

If you had the peristracum from this gastropod to stretch over a rock an expert could probably identify it as easily as an elephant.

And if they were cast from blue plastic I could identify them as a snail and an elephant.

1 hour ago, Zenmaster6 said:

was hoping for an identification

Because all of the external features are gone there is nothing to use for making an ID.

Using the elephant analogy- there is no skin only an unrecognizable pile of hamburger left

7 hours ago, ynot said:

Because all of the external features are gone there is nothing to use for making an ID.

Using the elephant analogy- there is no skin only an unrecognizable pile of hamburger left

I guess gastropods all look very similar while nothing really looks like an elephant. Unless you are an expert it would be pretty difficult to identify the species just by the skin. Anyways thanks for helping. I'll know how to post better and hopefully work towards a better sample for identification.