Sign in to follow this  
ziggycardon

Show us your fossil replicas!

Joe_17
16 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

Psittacosaurus Skeleton 

it was painted and mounted by myself. I got it from the owner of a dinosaur replica company . It is made up of slightly second casts. The owner thought it was to good to throw away. 

58C19728-FF67-4B02-8E43-204310062C34.jpeg

Wow that's impressive! You lucked out!

ziggycardon
1 hour ago, LordTrilobite said:

I have a number of replicas that I've collected over the years. I don't think I have photos of all of them though. But I also made scans of a few of them using photogrammetry.

One of my earliest replicas. A Velociraptor claw. Still a lovely piece.

Another replica I got many years ago. Egg of an Oviraptor.

oviraptor_egg01.thumb.jpg.c6674e303ef6f5f5b6d5234e8e97c67d.jpg

I've had this Phorusrhacos skull for a long time as well.

Phorusrhacos_skull01.thumb.jpg.e75a2f14b12556006d1b749539e47454.jpg

There's also this young Maiasaura skull

Psittacosaurus baby skeleton. Mounted and painted by me. I kinda don't like the look of the stands though, so I might revisit this one in the future.

psittaco08.jpg.3d490744ddffd07803533852ff735c5e.jpg

It looks like I also have the same cast as @Bobby Rico of an adult Psittacosaurus. I've had it for a while but I haven't gotten around to painting and mounting it. Though I have separated a bunch of the vertebrae so that I can put it in a different more dynamic pose.

psittaco01.thumb.jpg.bb178414d737a900843b8e68cdeae6cf.jpg

And there's this beauty. Most of the woolly rhino bones I have real ones of. But a real skull would be a bit expensive so I have this lovely cast. At 70 cm long it's an absolute unit.

collection2015_09.jpg.5f39559e1b4f87b8cf02e97718ac38fb.jpg

I've also recently gotten into 3D printing. And I might make a thread about that some time in the future.

Wow lovely replica's!, especially the wooly rhino skull is amazing and a Phorusrhacos skull is definiatly on my replica wishlist as well! :) 
I guess this thread will soon be filled with the same Psittacosaurus skeleton as I ordered the same one last week :D 

Bobby Rico
4 minutes ago, ziggycardon said:

I ordered the same one last week :D 

You got to love them parrot faced dinosaurs. :dinothumb: 

Yoda

Interesting topic.

I was just thinking about this the other day.  Was having a look around at fossils on everyone’s favourite auction site.  

Saw a Pterodactyl cast for sale. Seller was listing it as a replica. Not trying to tell anyone otherwise. 

Was thinking that I will probably never own an original Pterodactyl and maybe this is the closest I would ever get.

Wasnt too sure how I felt about it all though. On one hand it’s an opportunity to have a specimen of something fantastic. On the other, it’s.........fake. 

ziggycardon
16 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

You got to love them parrot faced dinosaurs. :dinothumb: 

They do indeed process a certain charm ;) 
Who can say no to this face :) 

psittacosaurus-color-camouflage-counters
https://fsmedia.imgix.net/68/c9/45/7c/496b/477a/9b6c/56d1cca7c68f/psittacosaurus-color-camouflage-countershading-vinther.jpeg?auto=format%2Ccompress&w=800

ziggycardon
5 minutes ago, Yoda said:

Interesting topic.

I was just thinking about this the other day.  Was having a look around at fossils on everyone’s favourite auction site.  

Saw a Pterodactyl cast for sale. Seller was listing it as a replica. Not trying to tell anyone otherwise. 

Was thinking that I will probably never own an original Pterodactyl and maybe this is the closest I would ever get.

Wasnt too sure how I felt about it all though. On one hand it’s an opportunity to have a specimen of something fantastic. On the other, it’s.........fake. 

I personally think that they are a great way to enhance a collection, especially when it's cast from a genuine fossil or when it's a museum quality replica.
And indeed some genuine fossils are simply out of reach for the average collector due to price or rarity, even for musea sometimes. It still amazes me sometimes how little genuine material is on display in certain musea. :D 
In the end it's ofcourse a matter of personal preference ofcourse :) 

Bobby Rico

Hi ziggy I just found a picture of my replica before it was  mounted. I hope it is ok to post. :dinothumb:

3544A8DE-0686-4BEA-896B-704890A3C430.jpeg

caldigger
56 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Hi ziggy I just found a picture of my replica before it was  mounted. I hope it is ok to post. :dinothumb:

Looks like he's skipped a meal or two.

Yoda

@ziggycardon

@siteseer

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. 

I also think for me, part of the thrill of fossil collecting is the fact that on my shelf, I have part of a creature that is 350 mya. 

A cast takes that element away. 

Bobby Rico

I don’t think we should call casts fakes but replicas. Their is a subtle differences .Probably everyone on this forum we all prefer the real deal but some well placed and nicely finished replicas can set of a fossil collection and enhance the wonderment. This is just my thoughts . Great thread by the way. 

ziggycardon
14 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

I am getting really excited for mine now! 
I think I might create a special topic when it arrives to show the entire mounting process, think it might be a fun topic :) 

Bobby Rico
24 minutes ago, ziggycardon said:

I am getting really excited for mine now! 
I think I might create a special topic when it arrives to show the entire mounting process, think it might be a fun topic :) 

Will you have to mount it yourself? 

aplomado

Nice!

Who made your Archaeopteryx lithographica replica, ziggycardon?

ziggycardon
1 hour ago, Bobby Rico said:

Will you have to mount it yourself? 

Well there are multiple versions available on his website, I bought the mounted version and I am not entirely sure but from what I understand is that the mounted version still requires mounting to a degree but it's made for easier and faster mounting with stand and all included. 
But I suppose I'll have to see when it arrives in the next few 3 to 4 weeks :) 

50 minutes ago, aplomado said:

Nice!

Who made your Archaeopteryx lithographica replica, ziggycardon?

It is made by a British paleoartist who produces museum quality replica's, most of my replica claws and the juvenile spinosaurus skull are also produced by him. :) 
I'll send you the link to his webshop in a PM. 

ReptileTooth

Interesting topic!  I like the replicas for their didatic value, never possessed one thought only a cereal box JP t-rex tooth .:trex:

I've a curiousity: Do you(generic) use life-like models to go along with your fossil replicas? 

Natalie81

Hi, what a great replica's in this topic! 

This is my fossil replica of a velociraptor skull 

SAM_1657.JPG

paulyb135

Replicas have never appealed to me but having seen how well made and realistic they are I can see why they appeal to others. Everyone would love to have the real thing but sometimes it’s  not possible!

I for example have replica car models of a Mclaren F1 and Bugatti Veyron. I won’t ever own either but I like appreciating the beauty and detail of them.

I guess the same can be said for fossil replicas :)

ziggycardon
12 hours ago, ReptileTooth said:

Interesting topic!  I like the replicas for their didatic value, never possessed one thought only a cereal box JP t-rex tooth .:trex:

I've a curiousity: Do you(generic) use life-like models to go along with your fossil replicas? 

Yeah I do have models to accompany certain replica's, although I think it coheres with the fact that most replica's I own (only exection is my claw collection) are to expand my existing fossil collection. 

I have a Spinosaurus model to accompany my spinosaurus claw & skull replica which in their turn are used to enhance my Kem kem collection. 

155031547436363095.jpg.ec97d2ce256b403df082e15e2b11afdb.jpg

I have a Tyrannosaurus rex head to accompany my replica Tyrannosaurus rex tooth, but I am planning on building a Hell Creek display around it with genuine Hell Creek material (Triceratops tooth, Edmontosaurus tooth, Nanotyrannus tooth, Borealosuchus scale & tooth, Lepisosteus scales & teeth, ...) 

5c67f271a8a03_155031547436363095(1).jpg.ee434c37b9cff876b22c23d4a0ee0506.jpg

And I am planning to buy a Psittacosaurus model when my replica skeleton arrives :) 

Joeri_R

Not a scale model but I just couldn't resist this cool little Mosasaurus :D 

I bought it to put it next to the Mosa tooth I bought at a fossil and mineral fair. 

IMG_20190216_213105.jpg

ziggycardon
8 minutes ago, Joeri_R said:

Not a scale model but I just couldn't resist this cool little Mosasaurus :D 

I bought it to put it next to the Mosa tooth I bought at a fossil and mineral fair. 

IMG_20190216_213105.jpg

Lovely model! I have the same one next to my Prognathodon jaw :) 

155031547436363095 (3).jpg