Jurassic Bone Mold?

DVL

Any thoughts in this?  Sandstone bolder found in Northern NJ (Newark Supergroup). About 7 inches long. Concave.  I think one of the smaller ones was a cast but I'd have to go back and check.

Thanks!

Dwight

IMG_3668.jpg

IMG_3669.jpg

IMG_3670.jpg

IMG_3674.jpg

IMG_3675.jpg

6 hours ago, Rockwood said:

All of the shots ?

Boy, that's a tricky one to keep visually strait.

All except the last photo (they're all the same impression).  The lower fragment in the last pic may have been a cast. I have to go back and take another look.

39 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Which direction is the light coming from ? I just can't visualize that as being concave.

I know what you mean- I've seen the same effect when looking at photos of dinosaur tracks.  Hard to tell if it's a mold or a cast.  The light in the last photo is coming from the lower left.  If I go back I'll shoot from a different angle.

Is it in an area where you aren’t permitted to collect?

If you can collect it it looks worth carrying out. Pretty cool. I don’t think it’s identifiable though. I find artiodactyl bones, but there is no way to determine what genus or species without other diagnostic info. 

That said, this would have been from a specific geological period, Jurassic, per your title and surely there have been remains found in the formation that would match up to this. 

Maybe @WhodamanHD, @njfossilhunter, @RCW3D, @FossilsAnonymous, @Darktooth, @Gizmo May have some thoughts. I know they hunt the Chesapeake area, but may have some knowledge of this area or know someone who does.

I know when I visited Calvert Marine Museum they had quite a bit of dino material there, but I’m pretty sure it was all Cretaceous.

• I found this Informative 1

Could have been a bone for sure, possibly archosaur. Hard to say with just an impression and I am no expert.

It could alternatively be an invertebrate burrow, they are quite common in the Newark supergroup. Again, hard to discard this idea without seeing bone structure.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

2 hours ago, Carl said:

I'm getting more of a plant vibe from this one. It looks quite flat. Very hard to tell from these photos and it's preservation.

That's what I've been struggling with. The third photo down appears quite plant like to me, but it would seem to need to be flat.

3 hours ago, Carl said:

I'm getting more of a plant vibe from this one. It looks quite flat. Very hard to tell from these photos and it's preservation.

Thanks very much for all the responses.  I've been told the same by another paleontologist outside of this site-that they are plant stems or leaves. He said it may be possible to identify the species.  Not bones but still pretty cool-

Thanks again- I love this site!

Dwight

• I found this Informative 2

When I first saw it I thought broken baculite negative (impression) and then I saw the end which now makes me wonder if you have a bone of some kind. Best of luck, I hope the experts figure it out

med_gallery_11491_1656_95708.jpg