Peace river turtle shell or something else?

Conner8484

I found this in the peace river a while back and I’m not sure if it’s turtle shell of something interesting. The level change kind of throws me off. Measured roughly 1 inch by 1/2 inch 62C7D4BD-2285-435C-A2AC-A035D502A849.thumb.jpeg.20bc3a34d7965d0cab4429b8d00e276d.jpeg27F00FB4-C00B-44B3-B9F3-E32B4140E9B5.thumb.jpeg.6743a7f4024fb4250ca4316ef46e7b5c.jpeg0CB19BE3-93A3-49C1-9E96-56BEAEFC157D.thumb.jpeg.85cb1e03f2d50b8c52cf811485837642.jpeg

Yup. It's a curious little puzzle piece. From the third image, the raised section in the middle reminds me of a section of a rib bone fused to the carapace. I agree that the odd raised edge is curious. Turtle carapace or plastron pieces usually have a pretty characteristic on the outer surface and I'm not seeing any of that here. If you don't get any better informed opinions here on the forum, you might consider shooting Dr. Richard Hulbert (FLMNH) these images and see if it rings a bell for him.

Waiting with bated breath for the Peace River to let us in this season. Still some 4 feet too deep and today's rain sweeping across the majority of the state is not helping matters.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

9 hours ago, dalmayshun said:

I'm curious also....and impatient for the Peace to get down...worst winter season I remember. 

I go back more than 10 years hunting the Peace River and nearly 30 years of experience with South Florida weather patterns.

There has not been any years like this one in the last 10... river is just too deep.  We are supposed to get a SUMMER rainy season  !!!

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Yup. And your Texas turtle shows why I too get a turtle vibe from the original item in question. The raised edge that confused the original poster is still quite perplexing.

I'm still sticking with turtle but I'm at a loss to explain the item.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

On 2/13/2019 at 10:45 PM, digit said:

Yup. And your Texas turtle shows why I too get a turtle vibe from the original item in question. The raised edge that confused the original poster is still quite perplexing.

I'm still sticking with turtle but I'm at a loss to explain the item.

Cheers.

-Ken

Thanks Ken, if I remember I’ll shoot Dr. Hulbert a message sometime