drbush

Hi friends,

my fossil collection is growing and i cannot find what i am looking for except after long time . what do you think the most effective way of organizing a collection?

is there any free programs i can use to organize my collection ?

This will probably get moved to the Q+A section. If after three days you don't get an answer, don't ask me because I haven't a clue. :(

Do you mean your photographs? 

A computer program to arrange them? 

Or just a list of specimen names?

Or a catalogue of specimen numbers,?

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

There are many systems for cataloging you collection. Trilobase is a popular one. My personal system is to leave fossils in piles in my garage until I forget where they came from.:doh!:

Edit: I realize my linking the trilobase website might violate forum rules if it is considered a "commercial" site. I ask the mods forgiveness if they deem it so. Please feel free to edit this post as necessary to bring it into compliance.

Edited by Scylla
  • I found this Informative 1

41 minutes ago, Scylla said:

My personal system is to leave fossils in piles in my garage until I forget where they came from.

You must be one of those odd folks who keep food, dishes, towels and the like in the house. :)

7 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

You must be one of those odd folks who keep food, dishes, towels and the like in the house. :)

No, but my wife does:ighappy:

I use Excel for this. It's not expensive (maybe free), you can insert as much info as you want. Here is a part of mine (It needs to be updated, some names are incorrect):data.png.82cbd7f2aa0be40ce0fc765e4347059f.png

You can give each piece a code and then put that code with it in your database.

3 hours ago, Scylla said:

My personal system is to leave fossils in piles in my garage until I forget where they came from.:doh!:

Hey, we use the same system!

Although, mine are housebound since I have no external storage.