D.N.FossilmanLithuania

Dear Guys,

I recently made better pictures of chimaeroid tooth fossil, I think this remain belongs to Psephodontidae family but maybe I am wrong so I need the professional ID. 

This chimaeroid shows the Late Paleozoic (Carboniferous or Permian) age of some lagoonal dolomite erratic boulders in Lithuanian territory but if someone knows the genus of this chimaeroid remain then I could know the precise age of the erratic (stage or epoch) and could use this find in my scientific articles to German magazine. The remain is 4-5 mm length so the tooth is small. 

Please help to know the taxonomy of this remain if someone works on Paleozoic sharks here.

Any help will be very appreciated! :)

psephodontidae 1.jpg

psephodontidae 2.jpg

psephodontidae 3.jpg

The image seems very distracting with all the technicolour. Do you have a way of converting it into greyscale / black and white instead? That might aid in picking out diagnostic details better. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Enlarged, and converted to black and white: 

5c6029a12a202_psephodontidae3.jpg.8273dd8507bd87becda4d44fd31141c8.jpg   5c60298123162_psephodontidae1.jpg.ad89fa2b287b2101036e4c304007217c.jpg  5c60299108840_psephodontidae2.jpg.4f371bfd352ba5014edcfe6f16e6730f.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Hi,

Did chimeras exist in Permian or Carboniferous ?

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

43 minutes ago, Coco said:

Hi,

Did chimeras exist in Permian or Carboniferous ?

Coco

Hi Coco,

It depends on the technicalities of what you want to call a "chimera."  One of the earliest-known chimeras in the general sense is Echinochimera from the early Carboniferous of Montana (Bear Gulch Fauna).  That one belongs to an extinct suborder.  However, the groups we know today under the suborder, Chimaeroidei, date back to at least the Jurassic.  These are the forms represented mostly by tooth plates (genera such as Ischyodus and Edaphodon).  The Paleozoic forms had different teeth.

Jess

Hi,

Ah OK, this is the reason why I don't recognize the crushers of the chimera jaws of the Tertiary !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Thank you for the replies,

Does anyone know the member in this forum who works on Paleozoic sharks and chimeras? :)

Best Regards

Domas

Yes you are correct in thinking that this is a chimaeroid-like tooth. Psephodus and the like were a precursor to what we consider to be chimaeroids now. But aside from that, the pictures you sent are not quite detailed enough, and too much of the tooth is missing to give a definitive ID. I would say that based on what I see, Psephodus is a decent placeholder ID, but honestly if it was in my collection, I wouldn’t label it past the order Cochliodontiformes.

• I found this Informative 2

@TNCollector thank you for the comment, I know that small area of tooth is missing but as I see the edge where tooth parts are not remained was rounded, the same as the sides of edge. I do not think that many lagoonal dolomites are Carboniferous in age because this kind of rocks could be more common in Late Permian layers of Lithuania. I would like to ask- which chimaeroid taxon is the most similar to this find? If you know Permian chimaeroids maybe you remember some taxons with similar shape? I found these teeth in lagoonal dolomites for three times but the other two remains did not remain when I splitted erratics. I remember that one tooth had oblong rectangular shape. Chimaeroid remains were not determined in Lithuanian erratics until now so these lagoonal dolomite erratic boulders could be very good research subject in my further works. :)

Thank you for the opinion.

Best Regards

Domas