Making a shark tooth/ray shadowbox - need to confirm species

Incognito Rockhound

Hello everyone,

I am making a shadow box for my office; before I start doing the final groupings by species and attaching said groupings to the shadow box, I could really use some help. 

I have made my best educated guesses (using Jayson’s website for references), but since I am a novice, I know I’ve made several mistakes.  

Will you you please take a look at the attached pictures and let me know if I guessed correctly? If not, will you please let me know the correct answer?

2B5AF07E-E391-469A-91AF-0977F2402E55.jpeg

Item 1. Shortfin mako

Item 2.  G Aduncus?

Item 3. Physogaleus Contortus

Item 4.  Lemon Shark

Item 5.  Snaggletooth (lower)

Item 6.  ?

Item 7. Angel shark? Thresher shark? 

1 hour ago, gigantoraptor said:

2: I think you're correct

3: I think you're correct

5 and 6 are Hemipristis. Snaggletooth shark

Thank you! 

Glad I am on the right path - still much to learn!

When you discuss shark and ray teeth it is best to use the scientific names which are standard worldwide.  Common names are not standard, and a single species can have a number of different common names that conflict with other species.

In this picture the tooth circled in red is a Carcharhinus sp. tooth.  The rest of 2 & 3 are either Galeocerdo sp. or Physogaleus sp. 

2B5AF07E-E391-469A-91AF-0977F2402E55.jpeg.341d2152b4c3a8c84e0a9cb83c64a470.thumb.jpeg.47df61038dc32d27ceed34d5e17e9a14.jpeg

In this picture you could have a mixture of teeth.  The teeth circled in red in 8 can be Aetobatus teeth from the upper plate or possibly Aetomylaeus teeth.  The rest of the teeth in 8 could be a number of genera like Aetomylaeus, Myliobatis or Rhinoptera.  The one tooth in 9 on top is definitely an Aetobatus tooth from the lower plate.  The other could be an Aetobatus tooth from the upper plate.

C581F1F5-D975-464D-AE8B-2DE28D138829.jpeg.ba87ef6378e160dbcb14e80d409c9fac.thumb.jpeg.525879f29bf7b18ca84a4c2192b81906.jpeg

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 5

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

Thank you for your input Marco.  As I stated above, I still have much to learn so all input is greatly appreciated!

I will do my best to use the scientific names from this point forward; I ask that you bear with me as I learn.  When it comes to shark teeth and rays, my ability to properly identify and articulate what I am sharing is comparable to a baby learning to walk; I am at the very beginning - somewhere between rocking back and forth and starting to crawl.  I will probably fall over on my side several times before I am crawling full time :)

5 hours ago, Incognito Rockhound said:

All teeth in group to have both distal and mesial serrations.

I just noticed that I forgot to add clarifying info to this statement - the group I am referring to is 2.

My apologies for the omission.

I'm interested to see what others call #1. I know it is some type of Mako, but I'm not sure which. I can narrow it down to I. retroflexus, I. oxyrinchus, I desori, or C. Hastalis, but I'm not sure which. I'm leaning towards I. oxyrinchus.

#1 is a lower tooth from Isurus or Carcharodon. Lowers are much harder to differentiate in this group.

#6 looks like a Carcharodon hastalis. Does not look like a Hemipristis.

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

1 hour ago, ynot said:

#1 is a lower tooth from Isurus or Carcharodon. Lowers are much harder to differentiate in this group.

#6 looks like a Carcharodon hastalis. Does not look like a Hemipristis.

Thank you!

What are your thoughts on 4 and 7?

22 minutes ago, Incognito Rockhound said:

What are your thoughts on 4 and 7?

4 matches with lemon (Negaprion sp.).

7 is neither angel (Squatina sp ) nor thresher (Alopias sp).  Possibly a worn Galeocerdo  sp. (Tiger).

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

7 hours ago, ynot said:

4 matches with lemon (Negaprion sp.).

7 is neither angel (Squatina sp ) nor thresher (Alopias sp).  Possibly a worn Galeocerdo  sp. (Tiger).

Thank you!